Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

He's not autistic, he's a very naughty boy..........

(32 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 16:17:22

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 16:20:13

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Thu 02-Jul-09 16:22:04

dh & I were talking abut this at the weekend.

dh had to pop into the opticians, and there is soething about the place that sets dd1 off. we have always managed ot distract her before, but hse was really bad this time blush

I ended up physically restraining her while she yelled at the top of her voice (thankfully the shop was empty!) and the staff tried hard to ignore us.

actually most of them were really great, and jsut got on andd distracted dd2 for me, but one gave us a really snotty look and I did feel like saying to him "do you really think she is just being naughty?" (dd1 was trying to get to the display glasses) I mean, really, how many NT naughty children do you have to hold in a full body lock, while obvously soothing and calming, when said child clearly has a langugae delay too?

thankfully (or not) dd1 is now of a size where it is apparent she is SN when she plays up (or I thought so anyway). it was harder when she was younger, as she is a big girl, so looked older than she was but was behaving like a naughty toddler...

mysonben Thu 02-Jul-09 16:22:42

I haven't had that one yet but close enough..."he is not autistic , he's just very frustated because he can't communicate very well!" hmm

Some people have no idea!

jemmm Thu 02-Jul-09 16:29:03

Have you seen the NAS t-shirts...

"I'm not naughty, I've got autism".

I know of someone who's DD always wears hers for trips into town.

There we go: www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=624&a=7503

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 16:30:14

Message withdrawn

jemmm Thu 02-Jul-09 16:30:16

That said people should mind there own bloody business really.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 16:31:33

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Thu 02-Jul-09 16:41:04

dd1 has one of those tshirts.

it does help (a little) but when she si squirming around with me trying to restrain her, no-one can read what it syas anyway grin

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 16:42:54

Message withdrawn

jemmm Thu 02-Jul-09 16:46:33

"I've got autism what's your excuse?"

silverfrog Thu 02-Jul-09 16:51:18

now that I would pay money for, jemmmm

"LEA (or nhs/SS/insert as appropriate)say I can cope" - not at all bitter that Statementing has taken 18 months already and we are nowhere near a resolution...

troutpout Thu 02-Jul-09 16:51:31

grin starlight

mysonben Thu 02-Jul-09 16:55:17

oh yessss ! That infamous phrase "einsten didn't speak until he was 4 !" or 5 depending on who says it! I loathe it angry

Nyrrem Thu 02-Jul-09 17:30:07

Hi Everyone, I've been a lurking on the SN threads for a while. My DS is 4.6 and ASD though without diagnosis until he's 7 (at which point they will almost inevitably 'label' him as Aspergers).

I would pay a LOT of money for a "No I won't trap my fingers T shirt".

Starlight - I too live in constant defensiveness. There are some people who just get it and support you and there are some who just don't

Nyrrem

streakybacon Thu 02-Jul-09 17:58:55

Like you said, Starlight - sometimes your dd IS a very naughty boy grin. Mine too.

Tbh I get more irritated by those people who insist that a child is either autistic or naughty, as though they're mutually exclusive. My ds has Aspergers and is more than capable of being a little horror - on purpose - because ALL children can at times. It doesn't mean he's naughty all the time, nor does it mean that when he does behave badly it's for some autism-related reason like sensory overload. Sometimes he's just being a little sh*t and is pushing boundaries to see what he can get away with.

BTW, I hate those t-shirts - as part of the autism community I understand the message they're supposed to be relaying but tbh I don't think the public in general would get it. It looks like an excuse to many.

misscutandstick Thu 02-Jul-09 18:30:57

The "to T-shirt or NOT to T-shirt" debate is nearly as old as the 'great dummy debate' - each to his own. My children do/did have dummies, and i rather like some T-shirts, but havent braced buying one yet.

I like:

"if you stare long enough you might cure my AUTISM, and then we can work on your social issues."

(DS5 is such a little dot the writing would have to be tiny to fit it on) OR

"please be nice to my mum, I have AUTISM"

and

"does my AUTISM look big in this?"

But i digress, my lot are sometimes naughty too (I have 3 with SN), because thats what kids do. I do use makaton, especially when out and about, i use it for DS5 constantly anyway, but its more pronounced when out and about and it does help with people understanding that somethings going on... However i do get bored of people asking if hes deaf.

sarah293 Thu 02-Jul-09 18:53:18

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 02-Jul-09 19:04:19

I get that, and had enough of mysonben's example to delay ds3 gettuing an appropriate dx and placement by a few years

tell em to fuck off

I have a badge that says 'I Love my son with autism'

Oh and I still drink grin

(and yes he's very naughty indeed. and rude / belligerant / stressy / bad tempered..... and MINE)

Welcome Nyrrem

Frasersmum123 Thu 02-Jul-09 19:20:01

I saw a boy at LegoLand on Sunday with one of those 'Im not Naughty' T-shirts which I thought was really cute.

I would love one that says 'Please dont get in my face, I am likely to scream'

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-Jul-09 19:49:00

Message withdrawn

knickerstootight Thu 02-Jul-09 22:05:36

some good t-shirts on this website (warning! some are also very cheesy)

t-shirts.cafepress.co.uk/autistic-spectrum_kids-and-baby-clothing

jemmm Fri 03-Jul-09 09:03:35

silverfrog Someone beat me to it...

t-shirts.cafepress.co.uk/kids-and-baby-clothing/design/20994252

Personal favourite - "I get flappy when I'm happy"...

silverfrog Fri 03-Jul-09 09:06:00

Great links knickers and jemmm - I particualrly liked "if you're happy and you know it flap your hands". made me grin

may well get dd a couple of them, as I find the NAS one is quite hard to read when on her...

5inthebed Fri 03-Jul-09 09:10:13

"if you stare long enough you might cure my AUTISM, and then we can work on your social issues."

LOVE IT! I think we should all have one!

When we had DS2's MS nursery visit last year, the SENCO "forgot" to tell the teachers he had autism, and a few of them made comments like "wow, we will have our hands full" and "he is quite energetic isnt he". I cried through most of the visit.

How about "Tastes like chicken" for all those kids who like to lick random things when out and about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now