Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How has OT helped your DC?

(15 Posts)
Frasersmum123 Thu 02-Jul-09 13:13:13

I am really interested to know as I see alot of posts about OT but its not something that has been mentioned to us.

Im looking for some help in areas of DS2's personal care - basically he does nothing for himself and I feel a litte lost as to how to move this on - would OT be able to help with that?

mumgoingcrazy Thu 02-Jul-09 13:17:57

Our OT spotted DD2's sensory difficulties very early on and has had us on a sensory diet ever since and it has worked wonders. I don't even think DD2 has any sensory issues anymore, if she has they are very mild.

She works on DD2's self feeding and all the manipulation skills. Portage overlaps this a bit as they also help with it. I don't know how old your DS is, but DD2 is unable to do anything for herself either and OT is great. An OT would be able to help with personal care.

cyberseraphim Thu 02-Jul-09 13:18:49

What would you like him to be able to do ? I am still on the waiting list for OT but mainly to help calm down hyperactivity and sensory issues - though I must say he has been much calmer since he started having the omega oil - very hard to get him to take them (had to melt sweeties and put in drinks).

Frasersmum123 Thu 02-Jul-09 13:27:37

DS2 Is 2.4

Feeding himself is a big issue for me - he wont be fed but cannot use a spoon. I dont really know how much he should be doing for himself at 2.4, but something would be better than nothing

Portage are helping with his skills such as building towers with bricks etc.

cyberseraphim Thu 02-Jul-09 13:34:11

Hand over Hand - You hold his hand while he holds the spoon can be a good way to help a child (who does not imitate well) to learn to self feed.

ohmeohmy Thu 02-Jul-09 13:44:37

OT also helps with seating or other equipment that might be useful

mysonben Thu 02-Jul-09 14:26:14

I can understand your issue with feeding, my ds is a bit older he is now 3y 8m, at age 2y6m he could use a spoon or a small toddler fork very messily , but was very slow eating , not much motivated with the food unless it was chocolate petit filous! Now he can feed himslef no problem but still is very slow , loses track that he is supposed to be eating , often refuses to eat , so we still feed him more often than not or it would take hours ! wink

PheasantPlucker Thu 02-Jul-09 14:57:22

Social Services OT got us a shower seat at home, and special hand rails on the stairs.

LEA OT sorted out a special seat at school, and has got dd1 on the Handwriting Without Tears programme. At 8 she is starting to write letters, which is nothing short of incredible!!!

springlamb Thu 02-Jul-09 17:21:09

OT has a kind of two-pronged attack - they treat and they alleviate. Ie they are treating ds as he has had a tendon transfer in his hand by exercise and splinting, and they are alleviating his problems by providing equipment etc to improve his function.
We've had a love/hate relationship with OTs over the years but since our new one was appointed a couple of months ago, ds (14) has had:
built up cutlery so it's easier to grip;
an easi-tip kettle so he can make a cuppa;
a snack-station so he can make a sandwich with his one good hand;
a supply of sponges on sticks to promote his showering independence;
an assessment of his shower room with recommendations for improvement (it was fine till he got taller than me!).
When he was small he had a special chair and special potty chair.

HairyMaclary Thu 02-Jul-09 17:57:12

Isn't Handwritng without tears great? Our OT got us started on that last year and the one at his school will pick it up in September.
We get chairs, bath and toilet supports and therapy from our Ot. She gives us specific ways to address his problems and has definitely helped with his dressing independence. She has given him some adapted ways to get dressed and undressed. He can now do almost all parts of dressing by himself except the action of putting on a coat. It does however take him 45 mins to dress so we tend to help.

anonandlikeit Thu 02-Jul-09 19:31:56

OT helped my son in so many ways, he ahd a yr of weekly OT preschool group sessions & his basic skills, indipendence & confidence grew so much.
This was in adition to his usual OT reviews & advice given to us at home & to his MS nursery.

There were 4 0r 5 children in the group with 2 OT's , they spent ages on things like coming in to the classroom, finding their pg,, teaching them to take off their own coat, pull out a chair & sit.
Sit on the carpet, respind to their own name, sensory stuff like introducing variations in sound & texture during play. Making slight changes to learn that change is OK.
Taking off their own shoes & putting them back on (something ds2 still struggles with).
Eating & drinking during snack time, holding a pencil & turning the pages on a book.

It did loads to help prepare him for school, if you can find a good OT, they are worth their weight in gold!

lou031205 Thu 02-Jul-09 20:24:31

Ours has

-made suggestions re: fine motor skills, such as cutting crayons in half to force tripod grip.

-given a plan for encouraging DD to come downstairs after using the toilet, rather than flooding the bathroom.

-small sensory tips, but likely to do a full sensory assessment in the summer.

-adapted handrail on stairs fitted this week.

-visits to preschool to offer advice/support.

Frasersmum123 Thu 02-Jul-09 21:22:16

Thanks everyone for sharing - OT sounds great

how did you get a referal?

ChopsTheDuck Fri 03-Jul-09 08:09:29

Paed should refer to OT.

lou031205 Fri 03-Jul-09 08:10:57

Ours was as part of the initial treatment plan when Millie was seen by the paediatrician. He saw her for drop attacks, but did a developmental assessment, which showed her GDD. He referred then, but the waiting list was 5 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now