Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help! How can I get DS to swallow his medication?

(6 Posts)
badkitty Thu 02-Jul-09 12:20:01

We've just got medication for DS's reflux, 2 different things which have to be administered by syringe. It is a total disaster - don't think he is swallowing any of it, it just gets spat out and he gets really upset by it, obviously it must be pretty disgusting. He is only 7 months so I can't exactly reason with him about it! Does anyone have any tips?

sickofsocalledexperts Thu 02-Jul-09 12:37:46

I find that if you lean them slightly backwards, take them by surprise and literally tip it deftly and quickly down their throat, it's the only way (this is how I did it with my autistic boy). Then quickly give them something nice like ribena to take taste away, good luck!

sarah293 Thu 02-Jul-09 14:50:59

Message withdrawn

fatslag Thu 02-Jul-09 15:27:20

Can you put it in his milk (assuming he is drinking from a bottle/cup and not exclusively from the boob)?

feelingbetter Thu 02-Jul-09 16:34:52

We use the 1ml at a time approach these days - not enough for DS to spit back out, tho he'll give it a good try!

Little bit at a time, as far back on his tongue as you can, then a quick drink of milk/juice/water - anything to get it where it needs to be.

If one of your meds is ranitidine, I sympathise, my DS hates it too.

badkitty Thu 02-Jul-09 20:00:46

Thanks everyone - will give it a try on the back of the tongue tomorrow. Yes, one of them is ranitidine and I think that is the real problem, the other one isn't too bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now