Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do they backdate DLA?

(10 Posts)
Frasersmum123 Thu 02-Jul-09 12:17:35

I applied for DLA (For DS) back in May, and they have asked for a Consultant report which I dont think they have yet.

They have sent me another letter today to say that they are sorry they havent given me a descision yet, but they will let me know when they will.

Will they backdate it from the day I have applied? I am hoping they might because if his claim is agreed I want to buy DS a bead table like they have in Dr's waiting rooms. He loves the one he has and plays on it for hours but its getting too small

2shoes Thu 02-Jul-09 12:36:11

pretty sure it is backdated, I know carers is

Woooozle100 Thu 02-Jul-09 12:41:18

think you can get 3 months - any longer will be decided on case by case basis

Weegle Thu 02-Jul-09 12:41:20

yes - I had a huge lump sum backdated - they backdate it to when you apply for the form (assuming you got that piece of paper stamped from them) - or when they receive the application if not. Mine took literally months and months of backwards and forwards to consultants - it was about £2.5k backdated, that was a lovely surprise!

Woooozle100 Thu 02-Jul-09 12:45:55

and yes from date they recieve application

Frasersmum123 Thu 02-Jul-09 13:05:24

Thanks everyone - I read my post bac and realised I sounded really money grabbing, but I promise im not blush

staryeyed Thu 02-Jul-09 13:53:50

Backdating usually means asking them to consider awarding the money before you actually applied.

daisy5678 Thu 02-Jul-09 17:35:39

Not money -grabbing when it's money you're entitled to!

coppertop Thu 02-Jul-09 19:42:32

They took months to deal with ds2's first DLA claim. I think I applied in April and eventually got a decision in September. They backdated it to when I applied.

cheapskatemum Thu 02-Jul-09 22:03:20

Like Weegle, we got 2.5 years' backdated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now