Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OMG - DS2 has turned into wild child. Is it the heat?

(9 Posts)
sphil Tue 30-Jun-09 21:10:41

I've been posting a lot about Ds2's progress recently - but his behaviour in the last two days in the evening has been wild. He has
- pulled down the curtain rail in his room, once last night, once tonight
- emptied a pot of moisturiser and smeared it everywhere
- turned on the taps repeatedly so he can drink out of the cold tap (and yes, he did have a drink in his room!)
- tonight, put the plug in so that the bathroom has flooded and come through the kitchen ceiling.

Now DS2 has NEVER behaved like this - he is very passive and abnormally lacking in curiosity. He has never been though the toddler exploration stage - until now perhaps. Up until the flooding incident I was managing to stay quite positive, thinking of it as development. Standing in the kitchen with water dripping on my head has made me feel a tad less so...

Could it be the heat? Or is it that his surge in physical development (pedalling, swimming skills) is causing a corresponding surge in impulsive behaviour?

frumplump Wed 01-Jul-09 09:54:15

How old is he?

shockwhatever the age really

5inthebed Wed 01-Jul-09 10:04:59

Hmm, tricky one. My DS2 is like this when it rains, maybe the heat has the same effect on your DS2?

magso Wed 01-Jul-09 11:18:56

Has the heat upset his sleep? Could he be trying to get comfortable and cooler (with the water and cream? Ds ( never been passivewink)loves tactile things likes creams and water and he too is worse at present. We changed the overflow/ plug to a pop up type on the bath, -the advantage is that ds finds it hard to close the plug fully - we still get floods occasionally. Some drinks (eg containing sweeteners) increase impulsiveness for our ds.

cyberseraphim Wed 01-Jul-09 11:24:49

I would say yes to the progress theory - difficult though it is. Can you let him burn off the curiousity at soft play instead ?

coppertop Wed 01-Jul-09 11:38:25

I've found that my two sometimes suddenly start doing the toddler things that they missed out on at the appropriate age. So my 6yr-old is now asking "Why?" all the time, just like his 3yr-old sister. He started the experimenting stuff about a year ago, including running the taps with the plug left in.

Ds1 always used to be very passive but this has decreased over the years.

I would say that it's probably progress with your ds2's development - not that it makes it any easier for you!

cyberseraphim Wed 01-Jul-09 11:45:23

The strangest (and nicest) catch up thing DS1 has done recently is to develop separation anxiety ! He seemed to barely know who I was until last year but recently he has started crying and shouting 'Mummy Mummy' whenever he thinks I might be leaving. I do see a lot of behaviour in DS2 (uber NT) which reminds me of DS1 so I do think the slow development is a factor as well as autism (whatever that is !)

silverfrog Wed 01-Jul-09 11:51:08

oh sphil, sympathy.

as you know, I've been having trying times with dd1 recently too - I really do think we should just move the pair of them in together and let the get on with it! grin

I know what you mena about trying to view it all positively. dd1 has now entered the "mine" phase of childhood - so I have both girls insisting wildy that each toy is theirs alone "give it back to dd1!" says dd1 "no mine! give it to meeeeee" shrieks dd2 back... <sigh>

one thing that works reasonably well is plain old wearing dd1 out - she has recently got interested in bikes too (no peddling though) and so we go to the park for a good hour or so after tea - at least the shrieks seem quieter in the open air wink

sphil Wed 01-Jul-09 16:08:49

Thanks everyone - I will try to see it as progress! He did have an ice lolly from a van on Sunday - full of additives as they all are, and as his diet is pretty light in these as a rule I wonder if that could be part of the problem. He's very cheerful though!

We have decided to put both DSes to bed later tonight - it's the hottest day yet here - and see if that makes a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now