Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Feel really stupid - burst into tears at school today...

(12 Posts)
Sidge Tue 30-Jun-09 19:19:55

Picking up DD2 to be told by the teacher and her 1-1 that she had been particularly challenging and difficult today. They weren't complaining, just letting me know. But it was like the straw that broke the camel's back (it's been a difficult year) and I just lost it blush

I was really crying, the sort where you can't speak and you get snot and tears running down your face. They were lovely but I feel really daft now, and worried that they'll think I can't cope.

debs40 Tue 30-Jun-09 19:39:45

You poor thing! It is awful when things get mentioned on pick up as you look forward to seeing your child and just want to take them home happy like everyone else.

Like you say, it was the straw that broke the camel's back...we all have limits and teachers are human too. No one ever thinks the worse for someone for crying even if you feel embarassed. People will just want to help.

What was the problem? I don't know you or your DD but I have been there at after school pick ups and sometimes it helps just to let it all out.

Have you had a bad week? It can all get on top of you especially when you have other kids and this weather makes everyone less patient too.

Hope you're ok...sad

troutpout Tue 30-Jun-09 19:40:59

Aww Sidge

<<pats sidges back>>

We've all had days like that

troutpout Tue 30-Jun-09 19:43:43

Yes..i agree with debs too. I used to tie myself up in knots at pickup time wondering what they would come out with that day...or what he would have done wrong that day.

It's horrible.

Don't feel embarrassed. We are only human.

coppertop Tue 30-Jun-09 20:06:11

Sidge

I'd bet vast amounts of money (if I had any!) that they won't be thinking you can't cope. The last few weeks of term can be as draining for the parents and staff as they are for the children IMHO.

I hope tomorrow's a better day for you and dd2. xxx

Sidge Tue 30-Jun-09 20:10:40

Thank you all. Debs40 it's just life I think! DD2 has complex needs and is becoming more challenging behaviourally, she is very defiant, has OCD, is unbelievably stubborn and has started lashing out at people that come too close to her when she's having a strop. Luckily (?) she has hypotonia so she hasn't the strength to hurt anyone really, but that's not the point.

She can have the most spectacular 'tantrums' - it's almost like because of her developmental delay she couldn't have her terrible twos when she was 2 so she's having them now she's 5...

Life can just be so hard. Being a parent is hard enough and when you have a child with SN it's so much harder.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm off to pour wine smile

Goblinchild Tue 30-Jun-09 20:17:30

I did that in the staffroom when another teacher who had my Y5 son in her class came in and was ranting on about how challenging, aggressive and generally possessed my son was being that day.
I had a full plate and then some, and it was just one more thing that I couldn't do anything about. So I stood in the middle of the room and howled and another teacher got my class and dealt with them for the 30 mins or so it took me to get my act together.
Sometimes you can ride the tiger, sometimes you get bitten in the bum.
Enjoy the wine. grin

Woooozle100 Tue 30-Jun-09 20:30:32

sorry you had a cack day. Hope wine is helping

5inthebed Tue 30-Jun-09 20:31:26

Oh you poor thing. I'm sure they won't think that at all!

Just go in tomorrow an pretend it didn't happen.

PheasantPlucker Tue 30-Jun-09 21:07:27

Don't worry, they will not be thinking anything bad about you. Hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Barmymummy Tue 30-Jun-09 21:13:44

Oh huge huge hugs, I have had a crap day today after being told DS had tried to throttle someone at playgroup so can empathise. They will consider you human, sensitive and above all normal so don't lose any sleep over it, xxx

Sidge Wed 01-Jul-09 19:30:31

A better day today. I think the threat of grievous bodily harm promise of a trip to soft play if she behaves might have worked. (For one day at least!)

I didn't get stuck into the wine after all. I thought maybe a hangover and DD2 wouldn't be a good idea. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now