Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone have experience of ASD DC who compulsively eat?

(8 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Tue 30-Jun-09 17:15:33

DS may not be ASD but its likely. I was just wondering if any of you have this and how you handle it. Every single time he sits down on the potty (and he likes to sit there a loooooooong time) or sit to watch tv he really insists on being given a constant stream of peckish food, like a banana, apple, yoghurt, dry cereal, crips, piece of bread. I know he cant be hungry all this time and also he doesnt really eat his dinners which is very annoying. What should I do? I try to make loads of healthy snacks, like healthy lollies etc but if nothing else it is deeply annoying to me to be getting up every 4 mins to get him another snack.

bubblagirl Tue 30-Jun-09 17:32:38

how about visual chart showing activity and then what snack and when dinner is etc you can both go check chart and see what snack is on offer and when dinner is so he can see himself so tv then dinner for eg have dinner for when tv prog finishes if it helps my ds has to have dinner at 3.30 only time he will eat then toast before bed and yoghurt we go with what works he eats really well at dinner now

lou031205 Tue 30-Jun-09 17:54:26

DD1 not ASD (I am told) but is always asking for 'bowleat' even if she has just eaten.

BriocheDoree Tue 30-Jun-09 18:44:41

Possibly a sensory thing? DD is undersensitive around her mouth (everything goes in there, but she's a bit better now). She used to snack continually. Better now she's at school and also more able to cope with me saying no. Once saw a program about a severely autistic child who was very overweight because he constantly screamed if he wasn't eating (and then all turned around by miracle school, but that's another story!)

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 30-Jun-09 19:03:28

I sympathise Here! My boy (asd) can eat a family size bar of dairy milk chocolate and still want 2 kit kats. He also has no clue why he shouldn't have chocolate and crisps for every meal, so it is a battle. He uses up so much hyperactive energy though that he's not fat at all, so must need the calories I guess. One thing that has really not helped is that he now refuses breakfast, and so is ravenous by 1130, plus spends the whole evening snacking. Luckily, one of his snacks of choice is fruit, but basically his eating is a constant battle between him (wanting only choc and crisps) and me (wanting him to eat a balanced diet).But I am absolutely determined to win, and sometimes if he has a tantrum I raise myself up to full height and say in the firmest possible tones "do you really think that just because you have a tantrum I am going to give in,." He may not understand the words, but he gets the point and (mostly) backs down!

hereidrawtheline Tue 30-Jun-09 20:52:54

Nice to see I'm not alone on yet another issue!

DS is not fat at all either, he is perfect. I mean his body is just gorgeous! blush He could eat all day though. Honestly. He starts within 10 mins of waking up and goes til he sleeps. Its mad. Will keep working on it.

We do manage to get him to eat a lot of these snacks healthy but its a battle! And I so wish he would eat more dinners.

bubblagirl Wed 01-Jul-09 09:00:53

my ds is also skinny and can eat for instance yesterday lunch consisted of banana , cucumber sandwiches his choice lol, big bowl of cereal and slice of toast, bag of crisps,

i dont let him snack after 2.30 dinner is at 3-30 and then he can snack again

my ds is a runner though so burns off so much energy if he is at pre school or walking he always has to run so needs filling up to keep his energy lol

coppertop Wed 01-Jul-09 11:24:06

Ds2 is like this when he's tired. It's as though he's getting ready to hibernate or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now