Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

A couple I know have a child who is obviously delayed and I don't think they're getting help.

(4 Posts)
lagaanisace Sun 28-Jun-09 22:54:18

We know a family whose first language isn't English who have 3 DCs. DS2 is about 2.6 and doesn't walk or talk. He doesn't respond to eye contact and displays behaviour such as swaying.

The family don't seem to ackowledge a problem and the language issue maybe a barrier to their getting help, although the dh's English is actually great.

I don't like to interfere, but I know they could be getting help of several kinds. They have a small baby, so their situation cannot be easy.

I'm thinking of inviting them round for a meal and for our eldests to play together, and rather than referring to their son, simply telling all about our experiences with DS2 i.e. Portage, Speech & Language therapy, DLA, etc.

Do you think this is a good strategy? WWUD?

busybeingmum Mon 29-Jun-09 07:18:57

Message withdrawn

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 29-Jun-09 07:21:44

It might well be a good idea just to tell them about your experiences, so they can open up!

I wouldn't be too quick to assume they don't know and are getting no help, only about 2 of my closest friends know about DD and the treatment she is having, I just prefer to keep it to myself for the moment.

lagaanisace Mon 29-Jun-09 10:06:30

Thanks for your thoughts.

With DS2 I knew there was a problem quite early on, but it has only been quite recently that we've admitted to ourselves that this won't just go away, that he won't just 'catch up'. But when he was referred for Portage, speech, etc at 18 months, it was a relief.

Other people have noticed our friends DS' problems, but I feel responsible because I know from experience whhat help they could be getting. It's very sensitive, isn't it? I need to do it right or I could make things worse, but I don't see doing nothing as an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now