Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone recommend an OT in SW London/Surrey borders?

(14 Posts)
mummysaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:55:42

my son is 3.6 and has received a diagnosis of gobal development delay. The paed has referred him to an OT but there is a 12-18 months waiting list.

I can't wait that long - he could be at school by then and I suspect dyspraxia so reluctantly I've decided to find a private OT

So if anyone has used one in SW london/surrey borders I'd be v interested in your experience.

TIA

mumgoingcrazy Sat 27-Jun-09 13:56:15

Are you under the Epsom/St Helier trust? We definately didn't have to wait that long and DD2 has GDD too. There is a privately run childrens therapy centre in Ripley (just off A3). I havn't used it so I don't know how good it is but I know it's quite popular. They also have physios and cranial osteopaths there.

yomellamoHelly Sat 27-Jun-09 18:19:43

We take ds2 to Kiki's Childrens Clinic in Clapham. Had to wait for OT (4 months I think) - against 18 months on NHS/ Next April - but ours has been amazing.

PheasantPlucker Sun 28-Jun-09 07:08:32

A friend has been taking her son to a private place in Raynes Park, which she says is amazing. If this is an OK area for you I can find out the name and number, let me know.

(Have seen Kiki's adverts in the Hemihelp newsletter)

mummysaurus Sun 28-Jun-09 18:24:58

thanks for your replies. Sorry not to come back earlier.

Mumgoingcrazy - no not epsom unfortunately. Ripley is quite far in terms of miles but fairly accessible as live near A3 so will look into that option.

yomellamohelly - do you mean there is a waiting list even at the private places? Will deffo look at kiki's as you can give it glowing report. Do you mind me asking how often you take him?

Pheasantplucker - raynes park is again quite easy to get to so please do ask your friend the name.

Has anyone heard of anywhere in the kingston area? I saw on the internet that there is a place called Sensational Kids run by a lady called Aniesa Blore. That would be quite close to me but obviously can't just choose a place on convenience!!

mummysaurus Mon 29-Jun-09 12:37:50

bump grin

daisysue2 Mon 29-Jun-09 21:30:50

Hi my daughter goes to OT in Walton is that close to you. They have a sensory room which is great. It's called the Sensory Smart Child in Walton on Thames easy to find on google. I do know another one which I think is in Tedington or twickenham I can search for it in my paper work if that would help.

mummysaurus Mon 29-Jun-09 21:36:16

Walton is close enough. How often do you take your dd?

mummysaurus Mon 29-Jun-09 21:41:03

sorry daisysue2 i have no manners -trying to type in between settling by baby dd - should have said thanks for your post!

daisysue2 Mon 29-Jun-09 21:53:13

I take her once a week for an hour session in the Sensory room. They will also go to school and put in a program but obviously that would involved travel time so much cheaper to visit them.

yomellamoHelly Mon 29-Jun-09 22:08:51

Hi Mummysaurus

We take ds every other week now. Until recently took him every week as it was such a sharp learning curve and ds "got" lots of concepts really quickly and it was great to see that improvement in such a short space of time. Taught me loads too and helped put me in the right mind-set of how to play with ds and get the most out of it for him. (Was pg too so not doing much on the physio front.)

mummysaurus Mon 29-Jun-09 22:22:26

thanks daisysue2 and yomellamohelly

seems once a week to start is the usual thing. will give a a few of these places a ring and see if they have any spaces.

so sad we have to wait so long on nhs. it feels intimidating choosing a OT as i'm not sure i'll be able to tell if they're any good or not. Still I can't put it off as ds will just get even further behind peers.

Celia2 Mon 29-Jun-09 22:36:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummysaurus Tue 30-Jun-09 08:46:11

thanks celia - it's great to have some options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now