Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Gluten free/casein free formula/breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
Backtoblue Thu 25-Jun-09 13:10:06

Does it exist?
Has anyone any expereince of eliminating gluten/dairy when breast feeding and seeing improvement.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 13:13:11

Hi

Yes absolutely I ahve experience

My ds4 is on a casein and GF diet, and that is because A) he is intolerant of casein and wuldn't grow when I ate it and B? he ahs 2 asd siblings

tehre are fromulae, neocate I think but would need a prescritpion. i just cut it out myself (and have found that now at 14 months I can have a smalla mount with no reaction)

The results of coming off casein were such that he grew after weeks stuck at the same weight

anbd a comlete stopping of screaming

When we cut milk from ds1'sdiet (we now know casein intol, as is ds3) we had the amaxzing result that his weight gain satretd after dropping to just over 4lbs.

Backtoblue Thu 25-Jun-09 13:20:22

Hi Peachy!
I cut out gluten & dairy when ds was 7 weeks.
Crying reduced but didn't notice drastic reaction. Have had concerns over him since 6 weeks
Starrted eating gluten again a while ago and think I noticed a marked deterioration in eye contact, smiles, gurgles (all of which are very limited anyway) He returned to less interest in anything, eyes cast down. Does this sound like gluten effects?

He doesn't gigle or laugh or smile without massive prompting and I feel this got worse with reintroducing gluten.
Now just feel depressed becoasue of his problems but want to help him all I can. I'm tired and maybe have pnd due to his issues. Thinking of formula as I'm tired of not eating so many things!

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 13:23:17

It is ahrd and formula would be underatndable- I east gluten now thuigh, couldnt manage otherwise

It does sound like gluten to me yes, apaprenly the effect is like a narcotic?

Bas is similar: he makes eye contact but only smiles for us and isn't a huge laugher- FWIW ds3, the most severelya sd one who attends a SNU, was the only one NOT like that. I just ahve miserable kids!

It's woprrying for you, treat yourself kindly

staryeyed Thu 25-Jun-09 14:14:47

I have wondered about going gluten and dairy free whilst breast feeding for DS2 as DS1 is very differennt with gluten and dairy. I dont think I could do it though as Im too fussy, I have tried Ds1s gfcf stuff and dont like - I would end up starving myself. I am constantly looking for signs in DS2 though. He is only 9 weeks but he did this thing the other day where he was avoiding my eye contact which is something I noticed DS1 doing whe he was 18months old.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 14:47:24

it can be hard can't it stary? I domnt like to fixate pubclicly as aultimately I didnt ahve to have ds4 and am grateful for him, but DH and I do at times.

DS1, ds3 and ds4 have very definite casein intolerances (as do I though I am lazy and don't always btick to it) above and beyond asd therapeutic level: ahs ds1 not been palced of CF formula he'd be dead I am sure (millenium abby, couldnt get anyone to look at him, in retrospect should ahev gone to A&E but hindsight...).

So that's different from others anyway, but maybe you could cut down on cows casein? goats milk maybe? even small changes may be enough- my boys don'treact to goats anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now