Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help, how do I approach this (moving to junior school in sept)?

(4 Posts)
ChopsTheDuck Wed 24-Jun-09 16:43:40

ds1 doesnt have a statement, never applied for one as his infant school were brilliantly supportive. However he starts Junior school in sept, and a few things have worsened over the past year, plus the school really isn't ideal.

Will his IEP go with him to the junior school? Do I need to make an appointment to see his teacher/senco/head?

I'm really worried about how he is going to cope. It's such a different atmosphere to the infants and I'm almost certain I am going to have to apply to get him statemented. Can I apply before he starts, or do I wait and see what support he needs?

daisysue2 Wed 24-Jun-09 17:49:23

Talk to the SENCO at the current school first and see what they say. If they feel their will be problems they will pass those comments onto the new school. But I don't know if his IEP will go with him as the targets will change. Also I asked to see the SENCO of the new juniors before we started and they were quite happy to meet. Just once DS starts make sure that you make an appointment early on to meet the teacher and pass on concerns.

whatreally Wed 24-Jun-09 18:32:53

Hi we are in exactly the same boat with our DD. In a moment of panic I asked the infant senco if we should go ahead with a statement but tbh I knew I had left it too late for it to be in place when she starts infants. Our SALT has said she will have transition talks with the juniors to make sure they are aware of her difficulties and the IEPS and her SN file will go up with her. Enjoy the summer & think about the statement when juniors actually starts. At the moment it's all "what if". We don't know how our DD will cope but I'll be running in during the first term to start the statement process then. Good luck!

ChopsTheDuck Thu 25-Jun-09 10:18:52

thanks ladies. I have sent in his new starter form this morning with a note asking to meet with the senco. I spoke to the infants senco too, and she said I do need to chat to the junior school, particularly about sports etc, since he has resrictions on what he can and can't do.

Everything is all up in the air atm as we're waiting for the latest OT report with her recomendations for the school and due to see the physio too. I will hold back for now with the statement then, one less thing to worry about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now