Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS1 is freaking out at the very thought of pulling his foreskin back to wash properly. He has had two infections this year & I don't know what to do.

(6 Posts)
Pinkchampagne Wed 24-Jun-09 13:20:37

We don't yet have a dx for him but he has a lot of AS traits & school treat him as a high functioning autistic.
He is nearly 10 now so I am trying to encourage him to take a little responsibility for his personal hygeine, especially as he has just had his second infection this year, but he absolutely won't pull his foreskin back to wash while in the bath or shower. I have tried telling him he must do this to keep it clean & this may be why he keeps getting infections but it makes no difference. Last night when I encouraged him to wash properly he just got himself in a state & had an almighty tantrum so I gave up. I don't know what to do as I don't want him getting infection after infection, but last night you would have thought I had asked him to cut his leg off! I live on my own with the boys so there is no male living here to help me with these issues.

Pinkchampagne Wed 24-Jun-09 13:44:09

Anyone faced similar issues with their SN child? Someone at work said "You have to get them to do it - I make my DS", but it's not that easy with my DS.

Marne Wed 24-Jun-09 16:06:43

No real advice as i have two dd's (both on the spectrum) but i have simalar problems with bathing, brushing hair and washing hands after going to the loo. My dd1 (AS) is only 5 but i encourage her using pictures and scheduals. At the moment she wont sit on the toilet without her plastic seat, if i try and put her on she screams like i'm murdering her. I hope you find something that works for you both.

daisy5678 Wed 24-Jun-09 17:55:55

I sympathise. J is 7 and the same. I still have to wash him, not just because of that, but because he is just unable to cope with any self-care really. I am trying to develop his independence, but he refuses to wash anything properly, let alone that, as he calls it! He doesn't seem to mind touching it when he's not in the bath; he's constantly fiddling blush, but he looks at it like I'm mad when I try to get him to wash it.

Circumcision???

Pinkchampagne Wed 24-Jun-09 19:36:06

Hard isn't it? I gave up last night as he was having such a screaming fit that I was worried the neighbours would think I was doing something dreadful to him! His younger brother has no problems with all this, but DS1 just freaks out. I really don't know what to do.

BONKERZ Wed 24-Jun-09 19:51:10

My DS also hates washing his! He has had an infection in it recently and had to apply cream. Its difficult isnt it cos at nearly 9 i feel its inappropriate for me to touch him in that area but because of his asd i HAVE to! DS is refusing to shower and bath at minute too although fingers crossed i may have found a new way of communicating with him! Used my joggler tonight set up a new calendar for him and he just has to look on it to see what i want him to do! he has hoovered tonight, had a splash in bath (no soap etc literally dunk and go but better than nothing!) and took himself up to bed at 7.30 although he wont sleep till gone 10!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now