Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Question about wheelchairs

(6 Posts)
Mitchell81 Wed 24-Jun-09 12:08:52

I would like to ask those of you who's child spends all day in a wheelchair. How often are they in different equipment/seating positions?

DD whos 8 is during the school day in her wheelchair and stander, but for the last few months has started crying when in her wheelchair at school. But since they have started putting her on a bean bag and having limited time in her wheelchair she seems better.

Wheelchair has just been replaced and I think it might be uncomfortable because of her scoliosis, she has a seating unit attached to wheelchair base.

She doesn't use her wheelchair on the weekend or after school as she has a more comfortable Otto bock kimba spring which we use.

Any ideas on what we should do besides spending as little time in a rigid seat as possible??

Nat1H Wed 24-Jun-09 13:11:25

Can't she have a special seat at school? My son only uses his wheelchair at playtimes, he has a Banbach (think that's right!) chair to sit on the rest of the time.

meltedmarsbars Wed 24-Jun-09 13:16:28

My dd2 can't walk, has wheelchair and alternative seating in classroom and spends time on floor. We got the physio and OT to arrange with sch how often she should be moved from one to another.

Get OT to re-look at new chair - maybe it is not comfortable? I wouldn't be comfortable in the same chair without moving for hours (except on mn on pc grin)

Our biggest problem is respite carer, who takes her out and will not move her without hoist so she stays in same position in chair in same nappy for HOURS angry

sarah293 Wed 24-Jun-09 16:12:29

Message withdrawn

Mitchell81 Wed 24-Jun-09 16:14:24

NatH She has a jenx or leckey can't remember which at school and she has the same problem in that she is not comfortable in that one either, so they don't use it. School use a hoist or do a manual lift using the sling.

Meltedmarsbars Am shock that they don't change her position when out with carer, can't they do a manual lift?

Mitchell81 Wed 24-Jun-09 16:17:39

Thanks Riven Its good to know what happens with other children as there are only 2 kids in wheelchairs in DD MS school. They are really good with taking my advice and she is already spending more time lying on a beanbag instead of being in a seat. So that is helping. I think I will need to speak to OT and physio and see if they have any other suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now