Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Visit from community nursery nurse

(17 Posts)
SoBlue Fri 13-May-05 22:12:21

My helpfull (not) Health Visitor sent her to give me some tips on my ds behaviour issues as she HAS mountains of usefull tips! I decided to tell her my stratergies to save her going over old ground and then asked her for her suggestions re:tantrums. Holding was her main stratergy and removing shoes so doesn't hurt when he kicks, have tried holding but hates being touched and goes wild. So none the wiser Said she learnt a lot though!

Blossomhill Fri 13-May-05 22:14:44

Soblue - do you know what? Us mums know far more about our kids than any professional do!!!!
Sorry though as I know how disappointed you must feel

SoBlue Fri 13-May-05 22:18:25

yes i was and upset after recounting all my ds negative traits in one go. She is going to do some play therapy with him on Monday for an hour

Blossomhill Fri 13-May-05 22:24:57

Oh well that's a bonus then Soblue

How old is ds again? Sorry but I really can't remember

SoBlue Fri 13-May-05 22:29:42

He's nearly 5 but according to Ed Psy 2. I was suprised by your thread that your dd is writing, that seems a long way off

Blossomhill Fri 13-May-05 22:33:00

Soblue - I know dd does surprise me as she is very gifted. However I was thinking today I would swap all of that just to be able to have a conversation. So even though I have a little brain box on my hands she can't really communicate that well. I'd rather she was Joe Average that could have a nice chat with her mum
God that sounds so self indulgent
Dd started writing in Reception but I too didn't think it would be possible as she did have quite poor fine motor skills, thankfully they are improving

SoBlue Fri 13-May-05 22:37:51

It is nice to get feedback, except its not always in a language i can understand. But he's come along so much pointing, dragging me over to show me things, eye contact in last 8 months.

Blossomhill Fri 13-May-05 22:40:40

That's great news SoBlue

With my dd she was severely delayed in her receptive and expressive language skills at 3 but since being in the language unit has now caught up. It's the pragmatics that is the main area of difficulty now!

SoBlue Fri 13-May-05 22:51:16

Each small step is such a big thing because i think i seem to prefer to save myself disappointment and underestimate him.

Blossomhill Fri 13-May-05 22:57:51

Soblue - You are absolutely right. Even little steps they make are infact huge milestones for our kids. Example dd does have problems with her social skills and used to find it so hard waiting her turn, making eye contact etc now she sits patiently and gets enthusiastic and even says * it's your turn. The SALT said that to come on that much since Sept is a huge milestone for dd but may not seem so much to anyone else. Hope I am making sense!

SoBlue Fri 13-May-05 23:10:11

yes it makes sense, she seems to be making good progress. My son will say it's your turn too except he won't take i don't want one for an answer

Davros Sat 14-May-05 17:23:17

Soblue, it must be nice to know that your strategies are good ones but annoying to have to spend your precious time educating someone who has come to help you! And horrid to have to pour it all out in one big go Holding therapy has been proved to be ineffective and often somewhat abusive so she's way out of touch on that one and taking shoes off to avoid hurting when kicking, Homer Simpson could come up with that! So much for the mountains of useful tips.

Chocol8 Sat 14-May-05 18:29:43

Chortle Davros - Homer Simpson!!!

I have had this many times before, with so called professionals telling me what I should be doing - as if it hasn't already been tried a few hundred times!

My ds is not good with holding, in fact I get severely hurt if I try that, so knocked that on the head (not literally).

Hopefully the Play Therapy will help on Monday SoBlue. Let us know how it goes.

SoBlue Sun 15-May-05 21:22:47

Will let you know, she sounds quite 'firm' should be interesting. The holding was meant to be me taking control of his tantrum as i leave him to thrash on the floor till he calms down. But he calms quicker that way and usually wants comforting after, like he scared himself.

SoBlue Mon 16-May-05 15:38:31

well..had the visit,with regards play he did at points showcase some of his educational skills hurray! But the frustration, hyper, anger and jumping all over me, left me in tears. She said it didnt bother her but it really bothered me. I felt like it went on for two hours not one and couldn't wait for her to leave. So he could calm down. I explained to her i was already upset as he had a tantrum on arrival at nursery and a friend overheard a teacher say 'here we go again!' which really upset me so it wasn't all to do with our session. I do know we need to keep doing it so he can learn to do these things but i hate seeing him like that. I spend all my time trying to avoid it. So it was good for him but stressfull for me.

Fio2 Mon 16-May-05 15:42:48

dont talk to me about the community nurse from my daughters school i am hopful that she has left as the one who rang me today was different and nice

last on eI could have hit her and so could my friend

SoBlue Mon 16-May-05 15:47:47

She was really nice and is trying to help and was genuinely upset that the end result of that was me being upset!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now