Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Why can't all doctors be like this?

(8 Posts)
sphil Tue 23-Jun-09 22:31:03

Silly, I know, as everyone is different, but we've just had such a positive experience at Ds2's orthopaedic appointment. The consultant just seemed to know instinctively how to treat him - not much talk but lots of direct engagement with facial expressions and gestures. DS2 was so entranced by him, did everything he said and maintained eye contact throughout - very unusual with unfamiliar people. It made me a bit sad, in fact, because I saw what he could be like with people if he was always engaged with like this, instead of people walking on eggshells around him. And it also made me realise how much people's responses to him are influenced by his passivity - he tends not to initiate contact, so people leave him alone - whereas if they just went for it, they'd get a response, even if not always immediately.

It's a difficult one - I know some children with ASD would hate to be treated like this. I also know how hard it is to initiate interaction with a child when the likelihood is he'll ignore or rebuff you. But I wish more people would try with DS2.

5inthebed Tue 23-Jun-09 22:38:01

I know how you feel. I get the same feeling with DS2's paed. He is a fab paed who used to work at GOSH and knows so much. DS2 even shook his hand when they met for the first time.

lingle Wed 24-Jun-09 08:58:10

Is there any way you could "capture" this approach in a communication passport or similar document?

If you see the same consultant again, could you even ask permission to video them?

I bet he'd be hugely flattered!!!!!! (bet it would make his week even if he wasn't allowed to do it)

macwoozy Wed 24-Jun-09 09:16:04

My ds had a fab cardiologist at GOSH several years ago. Ds is always anxious about the tests that he has to go through, but this cardiologist was so great. Instead of sitting at his desk, he got down on the floor and sat with ds to have a 'chat' about his heart, he was down there for a good while to. It was lovely to watch.

sphil Wed 24-Jun-09 10:13:23

DS2 has an 'All About Me' book which is kept at school, in which I have described (from his pov) the way he likes to be approached. But I don't think anyone ever looks at it now - it's probably just kept on a dusty shelf somewhere.

What's a communication passport btw? I mean, I can guess what it is, but what form does it take? DS2's All About Me is a bit unwieldy, to be fair - I could do with something more succinct.

I think it has a lot to do with people's confidence - the consultant has that in bags.
We're not due to see him again - DS2 has been signed off with some insoles - sad but smile iyswim!

lingle Wed 24-Jun-09 10:33:14

I think a communication passport is a fancier way of saying "all about me!"

But maybe you could retitle your "all about me" book in order to get them to read it again!!!

FioFio Wed 24-Jun-09 10:44:24

Message withdrawn

sphil Wed 24-Jun-09 22:21:35

Yes, same here Fio, even in 5 years. We almost never got through an appointment without a teddy bear being waved fruitlessly in DS2's face - that never happens now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now