Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Blue badge for high functioning autism?

(11 Posts)
aannoonn Tue 23-Jun-09 15:55:10

i have a child who is 8 and has adhd and hfa. a friend of mine has a blue badge for her child with a similar dx as my child. i wasn't aware that we would be entitled to one but she thinks we may be??

busybeingmum Tue 23-Jun-09 16:40:24

Message withdrawn

HelensMelons Tue 23-Jun-09 17:14:45

Yes, anon

We applied for a blue badge on the basis that he has no sense of danger whatsoever; he is impulsive and runs (everywhere), he puts himself and my other lot at risk if we have a meltdown.

We filled the form in and then the GP rang me about our application. I explained to her that, although, there weren't any mobility issues there were other issues (as mentioned) and she was very supportive and we got our blue badge!

Good luck.

lou031205 Tue 23-Jun-09 19:54:50

We were turned down for one, despite our consultant asking us to apply. Similar issues to HelensMelons. But in Hampshire Learning Difficulties or behavioural issues apparently don't qualify. I am about to appeal.

daisy5678 Tue 23-Jun-09 21:21:04

J also has HFA and ADHD and is academically bright blah blah, but violent, no sense of danger and a runner.

We got a Blue Badge when J was still only on Middle Rate Care and Low Mobility DLA, by getting the consultant to write a letter to the council.

We then got high rate mobility 18 months later.

The reason is because the autism makes it hard for him to walk safely and for him to behave safely etc.

It is possible but it was a long fight for the DLA - blue badge easyish.

misscutandstick Wed 24-Jun-09 07:44:59

I applied for a blue badge (nottinghamshire) for the same reasons DS5 (3.1y, GDD) is a runner and so unsafe its unreal! doctor is in full agreement with me, badge dept arent interested unless we get HRM. angry

what really gets my goat is that I have 5 children, 3 with SN (actually im lucky, i have one of each: ADHD, AUTISM, AS grin) so guiding my children thru a car park is like fish herding! its truly terrifying some days! and yet because they all physically walk (and I AM thankful for that smile) we cant have a blue badge angry. Why is it that i cant apply as a 'whole' rather than just for one person hmm it seems really stupid.angry

daisy5678 Wed 24-Jun-09 17:58:55

Pick your most extreme one (sorry, but you know what I mean) and push for HRM - it is possible. It's not about being able to walk. J can walk. He's entitled to it because he has arrested development of the brain (autism) with severely challenging behaviour which results in severe defecits in intelligence (in the useful sense, ie. knowing what's safe) and social functioning.

Nothing nothing nothing to do with walking/ physical ability.

alfiemama Wed 24-Jun-09 18:21:59

We tried to apply for ds asd, but Dr advised wouldnt get it and didnt return our forms angry, so I emailed the blue bdge people, who were lovely and someone rang me for a chat. Once I mentioned that Alf cant walk far and no sense of danger, she said just get consultant to apply. Which we are in the process of doing, so fxxxxx we may get it.

daisy5678 Wed 24-Jun-09 19:30:18

We were initially told by Blue Badge people that only the GP could fill in the form. GP had never met J and so ticked the 'can walk fine' box. We happened to be seeing the consultant psych at CAMHS that day and mentioned it; she wrote a letter and all was sorted!

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Wed 24-Jun-09 19:42:06

We don't get one despiete 2 asd kids, ds1 gets HR but ds2 doesn't (he wakes seven times a nigt but obviously I write that in invisible ink so they can't know)

We should ahev one, they both fit criteria and there's an obvious extra buggerance in having two of them when out, but that's DLA for you and I have given up and accepted I can only go to anywhere except community farm (fenced and familiar) with 2 of them if I have an extra adult

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Wed 24-Jun-09 19:43:48

<<takes misscutandsticks hand and runs away to join exclusive club, we have as / hfa; asd; dyspraxia>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now