Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Exercise plan

(8 Posts)
devientenigma Fri 19-Jun-09 22:54:51

Hi DS has came home with a letter saying he's overweight. I have a meeting with the school nurse, dietician etc to see what can be done. I have also had a message from the school nurse for me to get my thinking cap on. (I thought it was them giving me advicehmm !!)
Apart from swimming what do you think I should suggest.
DS is 8 years old functioning 12-18 months, is down syndrome, limited mobility, SPD, seizures, severe challenging behaviour, severe learning disability, heart condition etc etc..
Also we keep him on a low fat diet due to his heart condition but don't know what he eats at school.
Thanks in advance.

moondog Fri 19-Jun-09 23:48:24

Give him a packed lunch then you have more control.
Trampolining?

devientenigma Fri 19-Jun-09 23:53:06

Thanks for that moondog.
DS doesn't eat bread so feel like I would be struggling to do packed lunches but will have a look at what I would give.
If he had his way it would be a tin of beans.
The physio and podiatrist won't allow him on a trampoline due to his severe hypotonia and feet.

devientenigma Sat 20-Jun-09 23:22:35

Any other ideas anyone???

daisysue2 Sun 21-Jun-09 08:48:21

Horse riding for the disabled I think its RDA but other threads about it here just from a few days ago. Also my local leisure centre does one to one gymnastics for disabled children. Not much help but the only ideas I could come up with.

devientenigma Mon 22-Jun-09 18:35:02

Thanks Daisysue2.
Any more from any one much appreciated.

Phoenix4725 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:00:11

excersise bike so hes not having worry about balancing you can get some with screeens on that looks like your cycling somewhere

TotalChaos Mon 22-Jun-09 20:07:27

Got a leaflet here from the British Nutrition Foundation called "Ideas for healthier packed lunches"

Their alternatives to sandwiches include:-
Tuna and pasta salad with canned tuna, chopped peppers and a little olive oil and lemon juice

Lentil and vegetable curry with chapatti

Tortilla wrap with mixed beans, grated cheese, lettuce and a little soured cream

Couscous salad with grilled chicken, chopped peppers and sultanas

Mini pittas with hummus, cucumber and grated carrot

Pasta salad with grilled sausages, chopped peppers and tomato pasta sauce

Wholegrain crackers with reduced fat cheddar cheese and pickle

Apols if the above is no use if he won't eat many of these sort of thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now