Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS has ASD, I suspect that I might too, certainly traits.

(9 Posts)
sunfleurs Fri 19-Jun-09 19:19:30

If you had it would you pursue a diagnosis for yourself?

I did an on line (reputable) adult autism questionnaire and scored 38, as I recall if you got more than 30 you possibly had adult autism.

I think if I got a diagnosis it might help ds to come to terms with his more easily later on. Would you pursue it?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 19-Jun-09 19:43:03

I think everyone has traits of this if you take time to think about it. I wouldn't go to the GP/seek a diagnosis unless it affected my life in some way. Ds is as he is, some children are dyslexic, some dyspraxic, my son possibly has aspergers, this is the way he is. It makes no difference to me though, it just explains a few things and helps me adapt my approach with him. smile

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 19-Jun-09 19:47:50

I did that test and got a high score. I think several of us on here and did IIRC.

I know I have plenty of traits, but have never pursued a dx. parlt becuase I don't like talking to people in authority and it would mnean a GP trip [sbuh] but also coz I am OK as I am.

You have t work that out: are you OK as you are? What could a dx offer you?

I ahve two asd and one probably dyspraxia, the asd is traceable throughout my family (Mum, Grandad, a cousin and I susopect another relative), the Paed has ytold us she thinks its genetic and we've been offered genetic testing: wedeclined.

there are people on here though who have got a recent dx becuase that was right for them

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 19-Jun-09 19:50:12

I'd go with it being genetic. Granny (on dad's side) does act very inapporpriately and tends to ignore what other people feel or think, alot like ds really hmm

pickyvic Fri 19-Jun-09 20:09:27

i think its genetic too, on my side. and my DH lovingly informs me that i am "touched" LOL

i do have my foibles and i know it, but ive managed this far without knowing so i guess ill live!
DS is diagnosed with aspergers, dyspraxia and just last year college got an ed psyche in and they dx him with dyslexia. im am absolutely certain that i am dyslexic...(aswell as touched!)

mumslife Fri 19-Jun-09 21:08:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mysonben Fri 19-Jun-09 22:19:48

I would not get a dx for myself unless i needed help to cope. My ds has mild asd and speech delay/disorder. My mum told me i was very withdrawn as a child and didn't like mixing with my peers. I remember feeling anxious and hating summer playgroups, infant school was a confusing time for me, and i liked nothing better than being in my room alone to read my fave books. I came out of my shell very slowly and still feel awkward with strangers, i'm still quite shy and reserved. But it doesn't bother me so i just live with it.
Good luck . smile

jemmm Sat 20-Jun-09 07:23:25

I did the questionnaire too - and scored 32 - which is borderline AS. It's apparently a well researched diagnostic tool - you can find copies on the autism research site - so it's not some quirky online amateur thing.

It's helped me make sense of certain things in my life, and it's also helped me to have a little empathy with Ds who has a verbal dx of classic autism.

I can remember being at parties / in social situations and feeling a real physical discomfort and a need to be out of that environment - it's odd but if I think about it now - I can almost "put myself" there.

There was an article recently - will try and find it later - it asked, do you show traits, and does Grandad play with trains - basically asking similar questions...

sunfleurs Sat 20-Jun-09 09:38:59

Thanks everyone. As someone said I have managed so far without a diagnosis, if I did pursue it, it would be for ds, basically a way of saying "Lots of people have it, even Mummy and Mummy does ok" so he doesn't feel so isolated.

The shyness as a child really rings bells for me. I have never had many friends in real life and I am happy with that, I don't ever tend to get lonely. I have always struggled when I first meet people and my lack of facial expression and how aloof I seem has been commented on many times. It is only with real hard work on the part of the other person that I have managed to make friends, when I do we get on very well usually, but they really have to work for it.

My Mum is exactly the same, totally happy to be alone and if she thinks something is funny, she will just say it, not really considering how someone might feel about what she said and I was always like that too, though have picked a few more social skills over the years, fortunately.

Thanks again, things to think about here I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now