Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

HELP NEEDED - DONT KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS

(6 Posts)
2specialkids Thu 18-Jun-09 18:34:08

My DS2 (7) has just stamped all over his laptop shock. He has this to help him with writing and reading etc.
No full dx as yet but think he has sensory and possible ASD, he didn't even show any emotion and I dont know what to do, he seems to be lashing out an awful lot just lately.
anyone with any advice would be extremely helpful AAAAHHHHHHHH

Peachy Thu 18-Jun-09 18:43:57

Is it under guarantee? that's the first thing- check on that.

Otherwise that sort of thing isn't unusual with ASD, certainly not my ds1. Make sure he's safe- no glass etc left over- then get him in as quiet and placid a room as possible, leave him if you can and have a cup of tea, calmdown and remind yourself that he is not doing it to hurt you but to express something.

Then work out what that is.

I don't know what discipline method you follow, I would remove ds's Wii access for that certainly.

2specialkids Thu 18-Jun-09 19:50:19

I just sent him to his room. He was fine (in terms of broken pieces) but i just found it really hard to understand why????
I left him in there and walked away till i calmed down.
I had a cup of tea (old faithful) and then went to talk to him. we are friends now but still in shell shock really.

Peachy Fri 19-Jun-09 08:10:27

For ds1 its kind of internal explosion- there's abook tht title of which explains it well (a kids book so might be worth getting hold if at the library)- 'volvano ijn my tummy'.

Caused by anger, frustration, even fear at what he can't do so well.

2specialkids Sat 20-Jun-09 16:48:56

thanks peachy
I think it was a bit of everything. He has shown me how it happened and it seems he was moving it with his feet and lost his balance (nothing new) but he still says he stamped on it. I think hes getting mixed up, and is worried as he is sick of other kids in school calling him clumsy (hes always falling and banging into people). I think he just wanted to feel like it had been done on purpose rather than another accident (if you get what I mean) sad

daisy5678 Sat 20-Jun-09 22:20:00

J has destroyed his computer and others' when in meltdown. His ASD worker is currently using an anger management thing with him which is about what he could do, where he could go, what he could think about etc. when he gets angry. He's nowhere near being able to do most of it yet, as he just reacts and explodes, but everyone reckons it's not long now as he is sometimes able to walk away to explode rather than exploding then and there if you see what I mean.

sad for you (and him though). It is crappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now