Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Should my ASD ds attend pre-school?

(20 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Jun-09 19:46:04

Message withdrawn

ilovesprouts Tue 16-Jun-09 20:30:53

hi my little boy has just started pre school he goes 2 mornings per week 5 hours in total,he has 1-1 support ,he loves it as not many kids his age to mix whith,hes got gdd/sn also hes got early entry to a sn scholl in sept for two full days smile

TotalChaos Tue 16-Jun-09 22:20:22

hmmm I'm a bit uncertain on this one - I think the right setting can be very beneficial - but I don't think that pre-school/nursery is quite the magic bullet for communication it is often made out to be. IME when DS was severely language delayed it was me working with him 1-1 that helped him, not going to nursery (but he didn't have any 1-2 at nursery that may have made a difference)! I would push for home support in any case - does portage operate in your area?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Jun-09 22:29:36

Message withdrawn

coppertop Tue 16-Jun-09 23:00:53

My two got a lot out of pre-school but I would say that if you have doubts then delay it. He's still only 2 so there's no hurry.

IIRC the support offered will only be given at pre-school. I don't know if things have changed since my ds2 was at pre-school (he's in Yr1 now) but an application for funding would be made and then the panel would decide on whether to award it.

Has someone already been lined up for the job of assistant? If not then it's possible there would be a delay anyway while they advertise the job and hold interviews.

I'm not sure I agree with the HV's thoughts about mingling with other children. It took a long time for my ds1 to even notice the other children were there, never mind mix with them.

lingle Tue 16-Jun-09 23:20:54

I agree with total and indeed slightly regret having had Ds2 in nursery when he was 2.

ouryve Tue 16-Jun-09 23:47:12

I've had mixed experience on this. We paid for DS1 to attend for half a term before he officially started nursery and he did well for a while, then something changed in his routine a little bit and he flipped out big time, so we pulled him for the last few weeks. If it achieved anything, it confirmed for us that something was amiss and we sought out a referral for him, which eventually led to his diagnosis.

DS2 was 3 last month and is due to start nursery officially in September. He has had a free place at the nursery, 5 mornings a week, since Christmas on account of his special needs. He has 1 to 1 with an untrained but absolutely fantastic lady who (unusually) he took to immediately. She mothers him lots and plays with him lots and has really brought him out of his shell in a way that never happened with Portage. She is currently taking him for little walks around school to familiarise him with all the people and places he will visit as part of his weekly routine when he starts nursery proper, since he hates going into unfamiliar rooms. The experience has also provided lots of useful information for his statement.

In addition, DS2 is slowly starting to join in with the existing morning nursery class in some of their activities. He will (if in the mood) join in with their cooking and handle foods I'd never normally even get him to look at. He has begun to occasionally sit on the carpet with them or with the reception kids (sometimes sitting ON his big bruv!) and there's a few kids he clearly enjoys the attention of when they play peekaboo or tickling games with him.

So, it's impossible to say what sort of experience your DS would have as it would depend on so many factors.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Jun-09 23:48:19

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Jun-09 23:53:09

Message withdrawn

PipinJo Wed 17-Jun-09 00:17:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Jun-09 00:21:26

Message withdrawn

PipinJo Wed 17-Jun-09 00:29:15

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Jun-09 00:39:22

Message withdrawn

PipinJo Wed 17-Jun-09 00:44:02

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Jun-09 00:47:42

Message withdrawn

Phoenix4725 Wed 17-Jun-09 04:27:42

unfortunatley social worker not that esy we got respite but 2 months on still waiting for it.

But my ds does go to preschool and is non verbal gdd and he is doing well there.But truthly think he do just as well at home as there not trained not even his 1-1 but I do need the break it gives me

jasdox Wed 17-Jun-09 08:37:09

i'm finding, a combination of portage, a bit of 1:1 at nursery and nursery are working. but portage far out weigh the others, which is why it's going to stop is august (and nothing i can do about it, so frustrating). its as if, his progressing, he does not need the help, rather then it being an ongoing process.

Phoenix4725 Wed 17-Jun-09 08:40:08

as for our sn hv here words chocolate tepot are o kind

lingle Wed 17-Jun-09 08:47:16

my DS2 certainly eats a far wider range of foods at pre-school than at home!

At 3.9, he is just starting to access the curriculum other than music which makes him being there a bit more satisfying for me (came home rhyming words and knowing the word "rhyme"; also told me that Miss X read them a book about a caterpillar).

LoveBuckets Wed 17-Jun-09 20:29:13

Will he have an inclusive place the term after he turns 3? ie 12.5-15hrs with funded extra staff? I didn't send my DS until this was lined up and he went straight into 15hrs a week. He loved it although at first he was quite angry with me at home and I did worry it was too much for him.

But it quickly wore off and the preschool have totally brainwashed him into behaving like a NT child! In the first term he was out of the pushchair, in term 3 now he is out of nappies too and is follows adult direction brilliantly. It's the combination of time, consistency, attention and a little more emotional distance that his helper gives - none of which I could possibly have given him. He starts Reception in September with no helper and no statement and we are all confident he will be fine.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now