Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What to buy very special teacher for leaving present?

(14 Posts)
LoveBuckets Tue 16-Jun-09 09:20:20

DS1 (AS) finishes his inclusive place at pre-school soon and will be moving on to a regular statement-less place at infant school in September. This is all down to his amazing one-to-one lady at pre-school and I want to show her how grateful we are. She has totally changed our lives, I feel like she's given me that fantasy child that I mourned for when I realised he was ASD.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Frasersmum123 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:44:54

What kind of Budget do you have?

I think the Willow Tree ornaments are lovely if you dont want to spend too much. I bought DS1's reception teacher one a couple of years ago and have since started my own collection - people buy them for me and when I look at them I remember then and the occasion iyswim.

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 16-Jun-09 12:24:16

M&S tokens? I know it's not as personal, but I think it would let her choose her own pressie?

nuru Tue 16-Jun-09 13:21:06

We're in the same position - wonderful LSA who has made preschool a success for dd2. I'm thinking either a John Lewis token (we have one in town) or a voucher for a massage/beauty treatment/pamper type thing.

Will watch the thread with interest for other ideas

FaintlyMacabre Tue 16-Jun-09 13:27:09

Sorry if this is totally inappropriate but what about a photo of your boy in a really nice frame? You can get ones with personalised inscriptions (I think) so it could say "Thank you for making a difference" or something like that.

WolframAlpha Tue 16-Jun-09 13:30:47

Hand made stamp with her name on?

There is a seller on Etsy that does lovely ones - craftpudding.

You can email the woman a picture of the teacher and tell her the name, and she will carve it.

Might be nice as she can then use it on notes for school etc?

HelensMelons Tue 16-Jun-09 16:52:21

This year it's booze - a bottle of wine each. DP says he's going to get rose wine so I am hoping to get the wine bottle bag thingies (I hope you know what I mean!) in pink and a card each. DD3's teacher will get a bar of White Company Soap as well coz she's been particularly fab. Not very original but hopefully appreciated!!

monstermansmum Tue 16-Jun-09 21:38:44

Have to agree about Willow Tree-they do a lovely one that is an angel supporting a young child (boy) by the hands. I bought it a few years ago for my dd as it was just the way ds learned to walk, and I have since bought it for his teaching assistant at SN school who spent a lot of time with him in the infants. There are a few variations on the same theme but Willow Tree are the nicest. Chocs for everyone else ( Roses to share blush)

moondog Tue 16-Jun-09 22:57:15

Don't give ornaments as invariably people's tastes are not the same as yours. Similalry, pictures of your kids are a bit off. Would you want pictures of other people's kids (however lovely) in your house?

Get her something indulgent and not remotely worthy-the sort of thing she maybe would never get herself.
A massage in a posh spa would be fab.

TotalChaos Tue 16-Jun-09 23:06:33

I'ld say - do a personal card/letter and some vouchers for something like HMV/Waterstones, as she's bound to be interested in books/DVDs or music.

Woooozle100 Tue 16-Jun-09 23:34:30

I made a small little scrapbook with various pics and stuff (drawings - well handprints off dd) in as a personal thank you. Like v small square size of my palm - was mindful that person might not want big thing / or have something that screamed 'I wanna be on display' cos er they might rather not

Someone on here suggested making a bookmark from photos / artwork which I thought was nice as well as practical

Then I agree that you could spend money on sort of nice treat thing she wouldn't fork out for herself. Manicure perhaps if you didn't want to spend too much? Voucher for Beauty / Treatment place she could use as she wished

Nice of you to put so much thought and effort into

Woooozle100 Tue 16-Jun-09 23:37:07

oh moondog

has anyone ever given you a massive ornate frame with a pic of their kid in as a thankyou?

LoveBuckets Wed 17-Jun-09 17:53:24

Ooh beauty salon vouchers is a great idea (I know she won't take offence at that LOL) and there's a nice salon v close to preschool.

I did think about something picture-y but then I figured that remembering her experiences with different kids is part of her job, she won't forget DS1 - he required some seriously lateral thinking grin.

Thanks all.

moondog Wed 17-Jun-09 18:44:09

Pixie, yes!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now