Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Private Day Nursery to Primary School Handover Meeting

(5 Posts)
Anonanonuk Tue 16-Jun-09 00:05:34

Hello

My child (who has major physical disabilities and some global developmental delay, especially speech) is starting in Reception at a mainstream primary school in September. We are shortly going to a handover meeting between her current private day nursery, the school SENCO and our local council's Inclusion Team. Hopefully we have thought of some sensible things to ask at the meeting but do you have any more ideas of things we should ask (in case we haven't thought of it)? By the way our child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs.

Thanks for your help.

coppertop Tue 16-Jun-09 10:36:02

I don't know much about your dd's specific needs but I think a good thing to ask is whether there will be a system set up for you to communicate with your dd's teacher/TA. It's not always easy to talk to someone in person as the mornings can be so hectic but something like a home/school book can be useful. It gives you a chance to let each other know in writing if there are any issues.

Arabica Thu 18-Jun-09 13:21:22

I just went to a similar meeting this morning--handing over between DD's private nursery and the state-run nursery school she's going to in Sept. I had a tour of the new nursery and an introduction to all the staff before the meeting. This set my mind at rest as I had never seen the nursery full of children before, and it seemed busy but happy and calm.
In addition to getting them to set new targets I would ask what specific training the LSA appointed to your child is going to have and ensure that you get the chance to meet him or her before term starts. This is because at DS' school (where DD will NOT be attending) I have seen unqualified staff taking on LSA jobs with no training whatsoever.

Phoenix4725 Thu 18-Jun-09 15:02:32

yep mke sure its wrote in thestatement, andhow they intend to dfferante lessons for her oviously depending on the GDD

anonandlikeit Thu 18-Jun-09 16:37:05

I would always ask for some practicle examples of how they are going to impliment the statement.
Also maybe about friendships & if particularly if your dd's disabilities are very visable how do you want them to answer other children & parent questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now