Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Definition of Special Needs

(5 Posts)
mum2twins Wed 11-May-05 18:39:06

Hello,
My twins have a problem with their some of their sounds and miss out the beginning of words.
They start school in September and have just started speech therapy which will continue past September.

When I was explaining (to some other mums) that the Speech Therapist said I will need to take them out of school for the sessions as the in-school therapists do not want it within their remit. I keep being asked if my twins will enter school under the definition 'special needs'. Everyone seems very 'interested in the labelling of my twins!' Could anyone shed the light on the what my response should be and why this is not within the in school therapists remit as it seems a shame to have to take them out of school during the day.

Davros Wed 11-May-05 20:45:27

Sorry, I have no idea. I think someone posted a description of school SN measures very recently, can't remember what it was called though, sorry. Someone else will pop up who knows more.

roisin Wed 11-May-05 20:59:14

Not all teachers and/or schools are very clued-up about speech problems mum2twins, and you are certainly in a grey area.

My ds1 had considerable articulation difficulties - but no 'language' problems. He started school aged 5+2months - straight into yr1, and we regularly took him out of school for his SALT appointments - on a weekly basis for the first term, and then periodically afterwards.

The school has a register of Special Educational Needs (SEN), which has different levels within it. DS1 was not put on the SEN register because of his articulation difficulties nor his SALT.

(Though he was later put on - the lowest level of - the register for behavioural stuff, but that's another story!)

HTH

Blu Wed 11-May-05 22:45:34

Mum2Twins - I am not sure why the in-school therapists will not take them on - could you ask?
It might help to contact the Head of Special needs in your LEA, and ask for all the relevant information.

Blu Wed 11-May-05 22:51:27

But a definition of special needs can be very broad - and would include needing an 'Individual Education Plan' which included details of the problem and any ways of helping them in everyday speech. It could also include watching out for them in inter-action with other children and making sure they are fully included, and that other children can understand them. There are advantages to special needs being acknowledged within the system. Are you in a surestart area? We have had help from ur surestart person. But start with the LEA.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now