Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Risperedone

(7 Posts)
Loobie Wed 11-May-05 14:40:48

This drug was mentioned at my sons review and i am trying to find out as much as possible about it before he sees the pschologist who can prescribe it for him.Does anyone know much about it r have kids on it ?

Davros Wed 11-May-05 15:11:43

My son is on it and I have a few friends who have used it with their children. One chlid in particular is very hf but very anxious and it helped him whereas my DS is not hf or verbal, so very different, and it helped him. The thing in common is the anxiety and I believe it is used mostly to decrease anxiety. It worked wonders for us at first. Two years later we're not sure what effect its having so we are reducing it and going to take him off it for a while just to assess. Biggest side effect we've seen is weight gain which in turn affects the dose. DS also wets the bed a lot since taking it but I think that's related to sleeping more deeply. It certainly made him sleepy at first and he goes to bed between 8pm-9pm now (he's nearly 10). He's gone through a phase of night waking although seems to have stopped that now.....
I've got some info I've saved off the internet, can send it to you if you like.

Loobie Wed 11-May-05 15:43:44

thanks for coming back to me my son is very anxious and hf,what was the weight gain like??ds is very thin anyway so probably wouldnt make much difference to him.Re the sleeping ds takes melatonin to regulate his sleep and has done for almost 2 years now so hope it wont affect that.He is now in a special autism unit for schooling after 3 disasterous yaers in mainstream,but even in the unit they are finding he is not settling as expected and are failing to manage him there now too.This is obviously very scary and distressing that even in a special unit he cannot manage and may have to move again,hence why the risperidone waqs mentioned.I really think if we calmed him down he will manage in the unit as it is a fab place,i am just devastated that he may be having to put out of there too

lynny70 Wed 11-May-05 16:09:53

Message deleted

Loobie Wed 11-May-05 20:57:50

Lynny that is wonderful news for me you have just described my son at the moment even down to the underweight.He is extremely anxious which isnt helped by unstable contact with his father, an assault on him by a teacher in the mainstream school and a shocking attack from my mother to me when we were on holiday resulting in us having to fly home early.I dont seem to get through to him at all and nothing i do is stabilising him or calming him down.
He too is extremely challenging and dangerous to himself and others.He is very aggressive too most of the time and cant be left for a second unsupervised.
Any more info is most welcome before we see the psychologists in a fortnight.

Davros Wed 11-May-05 21:04:54

I think I would seriously consider it. Our reason was increasing challenging behaviour, SIB, uncontrolled howling, anxiety together with the unpredictability. No-one wants to put their child on medication but all any of us want is for our children to be happy, whatever that might mean for them, and we found that DS was sooo unhappy we couldn't just leave it or tolerate it for his sake as well as ours.

lynny70 Wed 11-May-05 21:22:00

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: