Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What are those bed's called that are kind of like a tent ?

(14 Posts)
Marne Fri 12-Jun-09 19:40:59

grin

Someone posted a link the other day with a bed which would be great for my dd2, it was kind of like a tent/safe space, can anyone point me in the right direction?

slackrunner Fri 12-Jun-09 20:30:10

Safespace?

StillUnderThirthy Fri 12-Jun-09 20:35:00

Maybe a canopie bed?

monstermansmum Fri 12-Jun-09 20:55:32

here?

Marne Sat 13-Jun-09 08:40:35

Thank you Monstermum, thats the one.

Does anyone have one? Are they any good?

monstermansmum Sat 13-Jun-09 23:19:32

I know loads of families that have them-they are used as beds but also as a kind of large play pen (downstairs) to keep the children safe (contained!). Sme schools also have them.

We have just used a Voyager (travel cot version) and it was fan-bloody-tastic!!!! grin It meant that this year we got a holiday that was worth having-Ds actually slept-and when he woke for the day in the early morning (3amsad )it meant that we didnt have to get up with him, we just did what we do at home-put a dvd on the laptop and left him to it. We are applying for funding for one from Cerebra or REACT.

You can also get them paid for through the DFG instead of structural adaptations. They always exhibit at Kidz up north/in the middle/south etc & they are really helpful and let you try them out there.

r3dh3d Sun 14-Jun-09 08:15:54

I can't for the life of me work out why they cost so much, though. The Voyager is £2,700 for what is basically a large travel cot. I mean, OK it's not a production line so it will cost more. And it's bigger and stronger, so it will cost more. But sixty seven times more? shockshockshock

Is that genuinely how much more it costs to make it? hmm Or are we being ripped off ... again?

devientenigma Sun 14-Jun-09 09:18:01

Monstermansmum, you said you just used the travel cot version. Did you hire this? Thanks.

monstermansmum Sun 14-Jun-09 10:22:49

no unfortunately we didnt hire it we borrowed it from a friendsmile but when I'm rich I'm going to buy some and hire them out!!! grin

They are expensive but probably worth it in the long run, especially given that they are suitable for adults as well(theyre not small) so it should last a very long time. It only took 10 min to put up/down and you could even use it in a tent/caravan as long as you had the head room-6ft ishhmm. For us it would mean that our family could go away for weekends and longer hols & ds would be able to sleep at his nana's or EVEN at his DADS who "can't cope" with him!!!!! (maybe SS would pay for one-cheaper than paying for respite(which we dont get).

Not sure if that price is inc of VAT, they used to be about £1,9700. Airlines now waive the charge for carrying them aswell-they weigh about 40kg in 2 bags.

mrz Sun 14-Jun-09 10:35:25

bed tent not as plush but may work

r3dh3d Sun 14-Jun-09 14:20:36

Actually... how much do you think people would pay to hire one of these out? [ponders] I wonder whether I could persuade the school to buy one and hire it out to families? It's the sort of thing you could fund raise for fairly easily as it's "understandable" iyswim, and benefiting lots of kids would be a bonus.

saintlydamemrsturnip Sun 14-Jun-09 15:38:29

Some ss will fund safespaces via a disabled facilities grant.

r3dh3d Sun 14-Jun-09 17:51:38

The issue is that we already have a fabulous bed from SS OT. But it weighs a ton (well, a HUGE amount, anyway) and we're not allowed to dismantle it ourselves, ever - if we need to move house SS will contract the suppliers to dismantle and move it for us. No use to us for holidays, or for respite. What we need for that is a humongous travel cot, and I can't see OT forking out several grand for a travel cot hmm straight after forking out several grand for a "proper" bed.

The other problem is that our only respite is at the hospice, and the hospice aren't "allowed" to buy any bed that doesn't work as a hospital bed, ie it has to have wheels so they can get it to the nursing station. So there is no bed there that can handle her.

monstermansmum Sun 14-Jun-09 19:30:35

cerebra, React, family fund, children today and the Cauldwell Trust all fund safe spaces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now