Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

help with car seat houdini's.

(10 Posts)
porgie Fri 12-Jun-09 11:25:20

Hi just thought i'd let you in on my discovery.
Firstly it's probably "illegal" so i'm sure i'm going to get some frowns, but it's better than the alternative.

My DS 3 ASD is fantastic at getting out of his car seat, even after the advice from 18 year old girl at mothercare "you need to fasten the straps really tight" oh my god had never thought of that, cheers!!!

Looked all over for some sort of clip to put round the straps once they are fastened, they have been banned in this country. It's in case of an accident, quick get out!

Bought a group 1 car seat for DD 10 mnts from Netto this week and it came with a red clip thing hanging off it. We have other seats with these on, never knew quite what to do with them. Anyway have worked out you can remove it and clip it round top of arm straps, woo hoo no more escaping.

Also you can use it on the pram straps.
Probably will get shouted at by someone but it is better than him travelling round with the arm straps off!

jennybensmummy Fri 12-Jun-09 11:27:31

you can actually buy straps like that at incarsafteycentre .com or .co.uk or something and also at crelling harnesses. I have a true houdini who can even escape his crellingharness so got to buy a different crelling model. they are great though so worth looking there if you want something more permanent?

porgie Fri 12-Jun-09 11:30:48

Thanks thought i had looked everywhere. Am wondering what to do when it's tine to go into group 2. he will be out of a normal seat belt and on my lap, fiddling with the indicators in seconds!!!!

jennybensmummy Fri 12-Jun-09 11:34:04

thats why we have one, ben is 3 and a half but can escape anything lol his crelling harness at the moment is the 28asd i think its called but we need to buy a different type as he manages (no idea how lol) to escape this one so will be selling this one when we do buy the new one!

porgie Fri 12-Jun-09 11:40:30

oooh let me know i'll buy it from you!
He is obsessed with sitting in the car we have to sit for ages with him pressing all the buttons and pretending to drive. DH has driven to work with bonnet open on numerous occasions!

jennybensmummy Fri 12-Jun-09 11:48:15

oh no, ben just gets out and climbs all over while im driving, even with his crelling harness i have to sit in the back with him now and limit the times i drive with him on my own to mostly long ttrips at bedtime so he sleeps!! yeah ill let you know once i sort myself out and buy the other kind, though when i do i need to buy a new carseat as it doesnt work with the one i have so i just keep putting it off as were skint so we just make do and hardly do anything unless i can sit in the back with him!!! i will definately buy it soon though as want to visit some friends and i refuse to drive at night again!!

porgie Fri 12-Jun-09 12:04:03

what kind of car seat does it fit?

jennybensmummy Fri 12-Jun-09 12:08:51

the one we have now is for a high back or a normal booster seat but works with one with an adjustable headrest too which ours is - hes big for his age and has been in a high backed booster since 2 and a half! The other one were looking at getting doesnt work with the adjustable headrest! but then if i put him in just a booster cushion it doesnt seem enough for his size and age which is why we bought a more seat like one if that makes sense, aaaaahhhhh just wish he understood not to escape!

porgie Fri 12-Jun-09 12:16:10

always wishing various things!!!!!

hamsterlover Fri 12-Jun-09 13:30:52

Windmill special needs is a company that does a houdini proof harness.
I know several kids that have escaped from the crelling harnesses but have never escaped from this harness:

www.windmillspecialneeds.co.uk/home/html/vehicle_harnesses.html

Is expensive but this charity www.newlifecharity.co.uk/ will fund them. I know they have funded several and funding is linked to need not to income of parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now