Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Untitled

(7 Posts)
othermother Thu 11-Jun-09 22:50:02

Ds (5) was recently dx with HFA. Still not had anything in writing but the paed was adament that it was that, and has referred him to SALT and a more local paed....appointments in next few weeks.

Now, do these symptoms/behaviours sound like HFA to you?

He has become obsessed with his Grandad Tom who died when ds was just a baby. He keeps getting books on WW2 from the library to see if he can find pictures of him, even though I assure him that he won't be in any of the books. He "sees" grandad Tom at the park, in clouds, in shadows. He also keeps telling me about when he was a tudor and a roman and an anglo saxon and about how his life was then.

He's also started asking me if things on telly are real life or not, as though he cannot tell the difference between reality and cartoon characters.

Another thing he's started doing is when i've put his coat/pants/shoes on, asking me about 5 minutes afterwards in a panic, "mum, who put this on me?" and I have to reassure him that it was me.

None of the books I've read on autism say anything about these sorts of behaviours, and I'm becoming rather confused. His licking things is getting worse, his having to touch things etc and his meltdowns are just as bad, but I think these things ARE autism related.

I'm beginning to wonder though if he has something else going on. Any wise words please?

othermother Thu 11-Jun-09 22:50:47

Just realised I forgot to add a title! Any way I can add one now?

MatNanPlus Thu 11-Jun-09 23:13:35

Maybe email MN towers.

othermother Thu 11-Jun-09 23:16:28

Erm, how do I do that? Sorry, not been here long and don't really know my way around the boards.

MatNanPlus Thu 11-Jun-09 23:28:00

contactus@mumsnet.com or maybe report the post, not to sure to be honest.

You could copy and paste your original post into a new thread and add the title before starting the new thread?

othermother Thu 11-Jun-09 23:32:32

Ah that's a good idea, thanks matnanplus :D

Also, sorry I don't reply much to other threads, but I've only just started down this route and don't know enough about anything to give advice.

MatNanPlus Thu 11-Jun-09 23:38:22

No worries, we all started out and some feel happier reading and not replying.

I know that experienced mum's will be around to see your thread and will reply to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now