Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

MMR preschool booster?

(11 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPenneys Thu 11-Jun-09 10:54:11

My health visitor is hassling me to give this to DS. He is ASD (though mild) and I am slightly concerned.

Do you know of any good literature I can read?

Thanks so much.

5inthebed Thu 11-Jun-09 11:03:43

I allowed ds2 to have his booster, but only because I know his autism wasn't due to this. He has always been a bit different to my other DC, knew he was different from about 8 weks old.

I talked it over with the HV and his paed first though. Sorry don't have any literature on it though.

staryeyed Thu 11-Jun-09 11:09:42

I don't believe that Ds's autism was due to MMR but will be getting separates because I have heard that the booster can cause regression.

5inthebed Thu 11-Jun-09 11:13:34

DS2 was a bit poorly about 5 days after his, for a good week, but I haven't noticed any change in his behaviour tbh.

TotalChaos Thu 11-Jun-09 11:15:20

you could ask for a swab or blood test to check whether DS is already immune from his first MMR, he might not even need a booster.

mysonben Thu 11-Jun-09 11:56:05

I have the same problem...do we allow ds (mild asd) to have his mmr booster or not? DH is more worried than me about it and is adamant ds will not have a booster just yet, he wants to wait until ds 'speech and behaviours improve!
I know ds had asd behaviours before his first mmr and when he did have the jab at 19 months ,he didn't regress or changed in any way. So i'm fairly confident that the second mmr shouldn't pose a problem.

It can be a difficult choice to make sometimes , especially with the media talking of measles epidemic... hmm

TheDevilWearsPenneys Thu 11-Jun-09 12:17:51

Thankyou all. I don't know what to think to be honest. I'm not sure his Autism is related to the MMR, but who can say, and the stories of regression really worry me. It was whe nhe turned two that we started to notice a real regression, he stopped pointing, his speech stalled massively and he stopped recognising people that he had done before(granny, great gran etc). In many ways I eat myself up because this was around the time mine and exH's relationship went sour. I fret that the things he may have seen/ heard have caused it.

My exH is far from helpful, he doesn't accept Ds has any problems, he keeps telling me it runs in his family and 'he will grow out of it'!?

I'm seeing the HV today (for other reasons) so I'll ask her opinion, and if a swab/ blood test is a possibility.

TheDevilWearsPenneys Thu 11-Jun-09 12:18:29

Gosh that emotional outpouring wasn't really relevant to the thread, sorry.

Sometimes it just spills hehe.

mummyrex Thu 11-Jun-09 12:25:36

I was discussing the MMR with a health professional yesterday. She has two children and she has given each child the first jab but not the booster. This is because of a paper she'd read pointing out that alergic reactions (to anything) only happen on the second or subsequent exposure. Eg, a child who is alergic to peanuts is fine on first exposure because their body hasn't yet developed any antibodies to peanuts.

She said that less than 10% of children were though to actually NEED a booster so that was where she chose to draw her line.

TotalChaos Thu 11-Jun-09 12:38:04

btw my DS's language/pointing stalled between 2 and 3 - and there were no family problems at all in that time - please don't blame yourself.

I decided against DS having the pre-school booster btw - and then he got measles around Xmas time - the measles was v. mild - but he got a lot of stomach bugs for about 4 months after the measles - which may just be a coincidence though. So I've ended up beating myself up sometimes about not giving the booster hmm.

Davros Thu 11-Jun-09 13:26:25

If you are that worried then get a blood test to check if he is immune from the first MMR as Totalchaos says. It cost us £100 for DD but well worth it. Mind you, I'm not sure if she had not been immune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now