Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD or developmental delay

(7 Posts)
fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 10-Jun-09 17:51:28

We have had one appt with paediatrician, at which she said she could not tell whether DD had mild ASD (she shows some traits but not all) or was just delayed in her communication.

DD is 2.7. We know she is delayed with walking etc, she didn't walk until she was 2 and is still quite wobbly.

We were also concerned as she had very little eye contact, didn't seem to communicate much except for repeating phrases, didn't point or show us things.

Well, only a month later she has started talking SO much, still repeating phrases but much more in contact, and constantly pointing and saying "whats that?" or telling us where everything is. She now squeals at other children whereas she used to ignore them.

She does still behave a bit "oddly" and handflaps etc.

What I am wondering is it still possible she has an ASD, or does this sound more like a delay?

It's even more confusing because she has known all of her letters and numbers and shapes etc for almost a year!

Does anyone have any experience of this?

TIA smile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 10-Jun-09 17:52:46

(I know I should wait and see what paed and SALT say but I feel we are going to wait months for next appointment!)

bubblagirl Wed 10-Jun-09 18:01:02

my ds has HFA and can have good eye contact knows all numbers and shapes and did from 2 even before speech arrived

its hard to say if your dd has ASD or not as some children can display ASD traits and be nt

i would say just be proud of all progress made and whatever the outcome she's still your brilliant little girl early intervention is always best

if the seed has been planted then just be open minded until its confirmed but don't frighten yourself too much or read up on to much all children all develop differently nt or sn

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 10-Jun-09 18:11:40

my gut feeling has always been HFA, but am less sure now due to all the pointing she is doing....

YOu are right though, she is who she is, and I have to say she is sweet, lovely and contented.. smile

bubblagirl Wed 10-Jun-09 18:24:52

my ds points has done for quite some time will point at pictures in books or signs or people

eye contact can flitter he can hold eye contact when talking to you but if spoken to his eyes shift away

but i made my self so ill in the time of waiting its more the not knowing but it didnt change anything once i found out apart from the extra help

bubblagirl Wed 10-Jun-09 18:25:30

my ds is 4 now pointed from around 2.6

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 10-Jun-09 19:28:33

I guess I will just wait and see then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now