Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Carers allowance stopped!!!!

(7 Posts)
VJaybigpants Wed 10-Jun-09 12:58:03

I am about to go onto maternity leave and because I only work a few hours a week I am not entitled to SMP, so have claimed maternity allowance. The maternity allowance is less than my job earnings, but they still stop my carers allowance gggrrrrrrr!!!angry I am still caring for my son!!!!
Why do they do this it doesn't seem fair???

glitteryb6 Wed 10-Jun-09 13:01:03

this happened to my friend too, its because they are overlapping benefits so you cant have both, its crap isnt it! sad

VJaybigpants Wed 10-Jun-09 13:05:01

It is crap, they explained about it being over lapping benefits, but it still doesn't make sense, they are 2 completely different benefits for 2 completely different things, in my eyes they don't overlap at all.

glitteryb6 Wed 10-Jun-09 13:09:59

maybe its they think if you're pregnant you wont be fit to care...god knows!
can you transfer the carers allowance into someone elses name?

Peachy Wed 10-Jun-09 13:16:37

Very little about CA makes sense if you think about it

I was at Uni 16 hours a week (and in relaity a lot of that was home study)- no CA as course registered FT even though it as always me caring for the boys, never anyone else

It's a necessary benefit but the way it is handled is complete amdness. if you're there from drop off to pick up, how can you not be there for the caring hours? <<rants>>

Sorry you've lost out, most unfair

VJaybigpants Wed 10-Jun-09 13:20:56

No dh earns too much to qualify. It's just one of those thing I suppose that we are supposed to accept!

VJaybigpants Wed 10-Jun-09 13:21:49

i agree peachy, can't see the sense in it either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now