Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD drugs - what do your kids take?

(12 Posts)
Welshwoman Wed 10-Jun-09 12:32:29

I have a Asd DS1 with co morbid ADHD - dyslexia and slight dyspraxia who is starting high school in Sep - already starting to have major meltdowns over this! We have put off using drugs but are now coming to the conclusion he probably needs them, to cope with the 1st year at least of high school, also maybe to help with his concentration problems which are getting worse with his anxiety attacks.

Anyone have an ASD child - what drugs do they take and what effects have you seen?

Cistus Wed 10-Jun-09 13:39:04

my son ( 10) has aspergers and ADD, he recently started on concerta XL and i now taking 54ngs a day, There is a definite improvement in his concentration, particularly in the one to one situation. He has had no side effects. I would try it and see.

Welshwoman Wed 10-Jun-09 13:48:03

Thanks - my ds is also 10 with aspergers /adhd - tried strattera when he was 8 but he found taking the tablets made him sick (very srtong gag reflex)- we do think now before high school is a good time for us to try again

ICANDOTHAT Thu 11-Jun-09 15:26:56

Have you considered a Homeopathic doctor ? or am I completely bonkers? I have been researching via the British Homeopathic hospital in Great Ormand St for my son who is dx ADHD. www.trusthomeopathy.org/export/sites/bha_site/hh_article_bank/conditions_a_to_e/spring_2001.2_ADHD.p df

PipinJo Thu 11-Jun-09 16:15:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welshwoman Thu 11-Jun-09 16:15:54

ICANDOTHAT - I donnt think your bonkers - we have avoided meds and are very careful with his diet but to be honest I have spent maybe 4 years reading and reviewing alot of Homepathic /alternative remedies and not found one with anything more than anicdotal evidance and most are very expensive

ICANDOTHAT Thu 11-Jun-09 22:19:29

Will answer tomorrow too knackered smile

elvislives Thu 11-Jun-09 22:24:46

My DS has ADHD. Started off (age 7) on Tofranil then amitryptiline. Went on to ritalin a few years later then concerta. Not had any problems with side effects (he is now 19) and the predicted stunted growth didn't happen= at over 6ft tall he towers over DH.

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 12-Jun-09 11:09:07

Message withdrawn

macwoozy Fri 12-Jun-09 16:14:44

Apart from melatonin, we were strongly advised not to allow our ds to take any medication that helps with anxiety and ADHD symptoms. He has a 50% chance of developing a heart condition, and although he hasn't began to develop any significant signs of it, we were told by his cardiologist that it was certainly not advisable due to the rare but serious heart related side effects. Must say though that his paediatrician didn't have the same opinion and felt the benefits of the medication would outweigh the small risk factor. Although I know he'd most probably be a less anxious, and therefore a more happier child being on the medication, I just will not take that risk.

daisysue2 Mon 15-Jun-09 17:27:59

My daughter has been on Prozac and is just coming off it now after two years. I would say that this was a miracle for her as she was so anxious she wouldn't leave her teachers side would scream going into assembly or any other situation out of the norm. Highly anxious and also her speech was very slow and delayed. Afterward just a few weeks on it her speech speeded up she became much more aware of what was going on around her, very sociable and good eye contact. She also lost most of her anxiety, she did things I never though she would be able to do such as a swimming trial for a club, dancing for the first time in front of other parents at ballet. She became very sociable still socially awkward. If you want to find out more about it google it and the research was done by Mount Sinai hospital in US.

daisysue2 Mon 15-Jun-09 17:30:16

Following on from my previous message it helped massively with school transition. She went from a very small infant school of just three classes with 18 children in each. To a large mainstream primary with 5 class in each year of 30 children. She would never have been able to cope before she had the Prozac but she coped amazingly well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now