Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OK he's still pooing his pants but can I have a proud mummy moment anyway please?

(6 Posts)
lingle Tue 09-Jun-09 19:45:04

DS2 (3.9) has been dry for 6 weeks but not clean. The good news is that he saves his poos for home.

Today I bought some sweeties he's never had before, put them on a high shelf, put the potty underneath, and told him that "if you do a poo on the potty, then you can have a sweetie".

Now six months ago he would have only understood "have sweeties", reached for the sweeties and been genuinely distraught when I then refused them.

And three months ago he would have followed "first....then...." at nursery but not at home.

Today he quickly sat down on the potty and pushed. The poo was not ready (anyone else talk like this?) but he sat down and he pushed.

Half an hour later he pooed in his pants again <sigh>

But somehow that reaction to my instructions - I felt like a whole new world of verbal communication was opening up for us.

The SALT and I were both similarly cheered when she visited a few weeks ago and he came downstairs saying "mummy, I put poo in my pants!". I'll take my first person pronoun use wherever I can find it.

glitteryb6 Tue 09-Jun-09 20:00:39

next time he'll do it! grin

lagaanisace Tue 09-Jun-09 22:07:05

Wow, that really is a breakthrough. I can totally relate to that moment when you realise DC has attained another level of comprehension/language.

We do the first...then thing but sometimes he understands it the wrong way round! I'm sure if we trog on with it, though, it'll gradually become more consistent.

Anyway, congrats! smile

5inthebed Tue 09-Jun-09 22:21:57

What a great language breakthrough grin He will do the poo really soon!!! COuld you maybe buy him a comfy toilet seat and get him to sit on it for a while when you think he needs one? Worked for my DS2 yesterday (his first ever poo!!!)

DS2 ASKED to go to the toilet today, and had a poo smile, even though he had a poo while waiting for the bus home (while clutching onto the nearest fence for added blush) hmm

lingle Fri 12-Jun-09 09:33:10

Thanks so much to all three of you - you were right!!!!!!!!!

He pooed in the potty yesterday SIX TIMES! The cunning minx worked out that one squeeze equalled one sweetie!

I so hope we can keep it up as MIL is arriving from California today to do lots of babysitting and it's a bit beyond the call of duty to deal with "those pants" as you will all appreciate.

<starts savings account to pay for dental work on DS2's teeth>

lagaanisace Fri 12-Jun-09 20:59:07

Wahey!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now