Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this an AS thing or something most children do?

(7 Posts)
Marne Tue 09-Jun-09 18:46:46

Dd1 (5) loves reading, she reads around 10+ books a day (5 before bed, sometimes more), she loves most stories and loves poetry.

In the past few weeks she has started to talk (to me, dh, friends, herself) as if she is reading a book, she often ends a sentence with 'said dd1' or 'said daddy' and she has started talking in riddles/poems.

Is this just because she loves her books, is it a AS thing?

wb Tue 09-Jun-09 19:45:29

I did both these as a child and still do the latter when the mood takes me (although these days I have more of an idea of to which audience it is appropriate.

I love reading and some might consider me quite odd but I am nt.

Marne Tue 09-Jun-09 20:13:47

Thanks nb, she enjoys reading so much, she's upstairs reading a dictionary as she has run out of books grin.

mumgoingcrazy Tue 09-Jun-09 20:18:02

My DD1 (4yr NT) does exactly the same. She lives her life through a book and is always in character, she is usually Angelina Ballerina, or Peter Rabbit hmm but very rarely herself.

She is always saying "said DD2" etc and she is NT.

coppertop Tue 09-Jun-09 20:40:33

Me and dh do this. blush

It sometimes feels as though we are living in a slightl surreal world with a bit of sit-com thrown in for good measure. So sometimes when ours are all bickering we add in variations of "said ds/dd". So:

Ds2 comes running in and says "Ds1 won't let me have a turn!" and someone says "..said ds2 indignantly".

Ds1 then appears in the doorway and says "But I've only been on the playstation for 2 minutes!" so the other adult will say "...said ds1 in an aggrieved tone."

blush

Ds1 and ds2 don't do this though, but generally prefer reading non-fiction.

wigglybeezer Tue 09-Jun-09 22:17:17

lol, coppertop, I might start doing that just because DS1 would hate it so much that it might work as an aversive to reduce his wingeing habit!

sphil Tue 09-Jun-09 22:22:28

Yep, I did this too as a child. Still do it occasionally now, though mostly in my heead, as a kind of running commentary. I am NT as far as I know, but have one child with ASD and one with probable dyspraxia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now