Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anybody else ever feel like this?

(9 Posts)
mannymoeandjack Tue 09-Jun-09 16:11:37

Yesterday was an INSET day at my ds's school. We had a loooong day. When I have days like yesterday, during which I am in sole charge of my ds all day, every minute of every hour for 12-14hrs, I do find myself wondering just how I would cope if there was no school for him to attend shock. And my conclusion is always the same - that I really don't think I could deal with him on my own, day after week after month without the breaks that school gives and with very little time for my own life. This is a bit of a morbid post but does anybody else ever reflect in this way? We do get respite care and of course my ds attends school full-time but in some ways, I see these things as the flood gates upon which I am totally dependent and I think it is this dependence which unnerves me a little. Does this make sense to anybody else?

MumOfThreeMonkeys Tue 09-Jun-09 16:16:50

yes! makes total sense to me

MannyMoeAndJack Tue 09-Jun-09 16:38:30

Thank goodness for that! Not just me then...

lou031205 Tue 09-Jun-09 16:47:14

Oh yes, DD goes to preschool all day on a Tuesday, and within 30 minutes of her return I felt completely spent.

2shoes Tue 09-Jun-09 16:59:56

I do
dd is 14 and I am scared shitless, that our stupid sw will allow her to go to a local shitty college and then think onece she is 19 she can just stay home

Widemouthfrog Tue 09-Jun-09 17:05:14

Every holiday I'm like this. DH is now working part time as a consequence because I cannot cope with both DS's all day on a regular basis. DS1 has ASD, DS2 is being assessed for ADHD/Aspergers.
I love them to bits, but some days I open my eyes in the morning and think, OMG, here we go again.

5inthebed Tue 09-Jun-09 17:05:51

I'm dreading the 6 weeks holidays sad

HelensMelons Tue 09-Jun-09 17:14:50

It's 8 weeks off over the summer here in NI. We are going away for the first 2 this year - that is when I find the behaviour the most horrendous - so hoping that having dp off will make a difference - last year was a nightmare at times.

MannyMoeAndJack Tue 09-Jun-09 17:53:50

2shoes, I share your feelings and my ds is only 6yrs old...the powers that be seem to imagine that a parent is equal to the task of caring 24/7, even though such work is not legal if classed as paid work. I know that there are various living options for young adults with SN but the problem is getting funding...I try not to think too far ahead but in my ds's case, I cannot imagine being physically able to change his nappies when he is over 6ft tall.

The summer holidays don't frighten me as much as they used to because I do have several holiday club options for my ds but as per my original post, if they were not available, then I would be up sh*t creek. I feel for anybody who lives in an area where SN provision is poor (and it seems that there are many such areas).

I'm currently reading a novel set in the 1960/70s where a group of parents are campaigning for their SN kids to be allowed to attend school because for the most part, SN kids were routinely packed off to live in institutions whether their parents wanted it or not and hence there was no pressure on the authorities to provide any education. We've come a long way since those times but I think there's still a long way to go, particularly with 18+ provision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now