Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

stopping the middle - DS's Room 101

(4 Posts)
iwearflairs Mon 08-Jun-09 22:32:44

We went to visit a friend today - first time we have been to her house - and DS (5) was happy to play with her teenage children, which warmed my heart of course. Then they put him on a computer game of snakes and ladders - a past obsession, he is now on search books - until it seemed like the game was taking a long time so I tried to get them to finish the game, but everytime anyone approached the end, they always landed on the snake on 99 - until the other kids said they had forgotten to mention the game never ends, it's meant as a maths study aid. At which point, DS realised that he was not going to be able to finish the game and had the worst meltdown he has ever had, including biting me.

Bless his cotton socks, when he had calmed down, all he could talk about was the fact that his grandma is going back to Australia in a few days.

I know that underneath it he is sad about her going away, but how do you help children who cannot bear to stop things in the middle? He finds it as hard now as he did when he was 3 and I don't know how to help.

Anybody got any ideas?

iwearflairs Mon 08-Jun-09 22:33:25

sorry forgot to mention DS has dx of HFA

troutpout Tue 09-Jun-09 13:34:31

Aww How frustrating and confusing for him! He wasn't really stopping at the middle because the middle was really the end!

Social story?...do you think that that might work? It's about transition isn't it really i guess. Stopping something (even when you don't want to) and moving onto something else.

iwearflairs Wed 10-Jun-09 11:23:45

Hello troutpout - yes it is transition - I am just getting to grips with social stories and will have a go at that one. I never really got to grips with timers as he just ignore them really!

It is a bastard game if you will excuse the language - on the BBC website - I am going to complain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now