Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

need to pick your brains

(6 Posts)
2shoes Mon 08-Jun-09 12:49:01

ok imagine you had a teen who is 16/17 and at college.
she/he has had a crap year with things in life for the past year and cocked up big time at college
you have to meet with college to convince them he/she needs another chance.
they have mentioned that they think he/she has sn!! you know they don't.
what would you have expected them to have done if they really believe the teen has sn??
at that age would an educational psychologist still be used?
(sorry I am vague but it is a odd situation and due to respecting the families trust I can't go into family background)

HairyMaclary Mon 08-Jun-09 13:58:24

I would probably expect them to have had an IEP or something to show the school really think they have some form of SEN. Ed psych's aren't really involved until much later when any problem is picked up through school rather than via and existing condition, iykwim.
Even if no IEP then probably some contact with parents before if got to what sounds like quite a serious stage.

ICANDOTHAT Mon 08-Jun-09 16:30:38

Can you say the kind of SN they think he/she has? Have they approached the parent/guardian asking them to refer for assessment ? (I assume it's the college who has indicated the SN aspect) I thought Ed Phychs were used whilst anyone was in full-time education and they would be the 1st call at this stage. However, if parent is sure child is not SN, do they know what has caused the problems? Can they discuss with college? Sorry, lots of questions

ChopsTheDuck Mon 08-Jun-09 16:35:40

The college should be able to take some sort of action without the parents being involved, not sure which professional they would approach though. I don't know about IEPs, but there should be somebody as a form of SENCO who would have the job of making sure the student is supported.

A friend of ours was in a similar situation, except she did have LDs which had never been picked up upon and the mother wasn't keen to seek help.

ChopsTheDuck Mon 08-Jun-09 16:37:12

At the very least they should be providing any equipement or extra material that would help, relevant to the disability.

2shoes Mon 08-Jun-09 17:43:28

thanks folks that is all as I thought.there is no sn. the college are just being wrong.I just needed to double check my info before i passed it on, it is a long time ago since I dealt with all this with dd.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: