Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Strange Phobias

(19 Posts)
mumslife Sun 07-Jun-09 20:57:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

troutpout Sun 07-Jun-09 21:34:51

Had: (could be a very long list grin)

hoovers

the loo flush ...the 'gog gog gog' noise after the flush !...took me years to get that one out of him

wave machines in swimming pools

handryers

urinals (unexpected flushing)

balloons

party poppers

loud music and flashing lights

dressing up

countdowns....ie 5,4,3, hysterics,Meltdown grin

very long tunnels where he is unsure what is on the other side

tannoy announcements

germs

all insects particularly flying ones and open windows on car

I reckon there were probably about another 10 more or so....just can't remember them all now. Ages 5-7 were particularly bad as i recall.

Now:

flying insects ..particularly with open car windows <<sigh>>. Always worse at the beginning of summer ...and then gets better with a bit of help.

loud sound effects (particularly when he knows they are going to happen and he is waiting for it iykwim) He will still put his hands over his ears (if he knows it's going to happen) and start to get stressed and jumpy and wild eyed. We ofton have to leave places because of this one.

The 2 above are a definite no-no. But i'm guessing that he is still a bit uncomfortable with all of the old ones too ...it's just that he can deal with them without getting stressed. Yesterday it was his birthday (12) and he actually held and popped party poppers although he was sort of grimacing as he did it.

wigglybeezer Sun 07-Jun-09 21:38:29

DS2 had a bad phase around 6 when he was scared of germs, sharp knives and poisonous mushrooms. He is not scared of them at the moment. Saying that, the strangest phobia in our house was the phobia about sock fluff (particularly if it was floating in the bath) that afflicted DS3 (NT) when he was a toddler, he screamed the place down if some floated past him in the bath!

troutpout Sun 07-Jun-09 21:39:07

The sensitivity is incredible. The other week he said he hated the noise that hedges or trees make when the car goes past them
shock
He says it sounds like 'whomph' and that when it happens he can't hear anything else.

troutpout Sun 07-Jun-09 21:41:30

omg! i forgot about sock fluff in the bath!!
Yep...i too have had the hysterics of a screaming,frenzied child trying to get out of the bath.

i knew there would be loads more

Just makes me realise how much easier he is now in the phobias dept.

mysonben Sun 07-Jun-09 21:50:48

MY ds has fears of:
handdryers, lawnmovers
big insects such as beettlebug
loo flush
toilet paper left in the loo or a dirty loo!
hoovers (i got over that one now), blender
dirt/food stains on his clothes
darkness in the car when driving at night
sock fluff or other fluff that can float in the bath water
his nails being cut
hot food and just ironed warm clothes

wigglybeezer Sun 07-Jun-09 21:52:17

That was my NT child! Mind you he tends to copy the rather operatic way of reacting to things that his older, less NT brothers use, it can get very noisy in our house.
Just remembered that DS2 used to be terrified of the "pipe monster" noise when the bath emptied, I've got into the habit of sticking something in the plug hole to let the water out very slowly.

troutpout Sun 07-Jun-09 21:58:07

<<nods at nails and hair being cut>>
still not great on that one tbh

<<sighs>...i guess they have become so normal to me that i've lost sense of the yardstick

Still hates socks too...they have to be just right

mumslife Tue 09-Jun-09 12:59:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seuss Tue 09-Jun-09 14:27:11

empty packets (he stuffs any rubbish down the side of the computer desk), coke cans, toilet lid, windows and curtains and doors need to be shut. (Apparently someone might fall down the toilet hmm Refuses to wear jumpers, although for a long time refused to take his jumper off? Will only eat certain foods in certain places. Nails/haircutting = nightmare and has rubbed off on younger ones so they hate it now too! Joy! I'm sure there's more...

Widemouthfrog Tue 09-Jun-09 17:02:06

Flying insects here too - absolute hysteria if there is a fly in the house
His brothers bath toys (they have to be removed from the bathroom)
Germs (terrified of being ill)
Soap
54321 countdowns here too!(he shouts its wrong, its worng)
Toilet flush
Spills or dirt on clothes
yes, we have the sock fluff in the bath too.

I am interested to see how similar alot of our kids' phobias are.

Widemouthfrog Tue 09-Jun-09 17:02:06

Flying insects here too - absolute hysteria if there is a fly in the house
His brothers bath toys (they have to be removed from the bathroom)
Germs (terrified of being ill)
Soap
54321 countdowns here too!(he shouts its wrong, its worng)
Toilet flush
Spills or dirt on clothes
yes, we have the sock fluff in the bath too.

I am interested to see how similar alot of our kids' phobias are.

HelensMelons Tue 09-Jun-09 17:18:55

At the moment DS2 is not liking water too much but he has been chewing the skin around his nails quite badly and a bath helps to keep him clean - he would be a mucky wee urchin so a lot of protesting about this. He prefers to be filthy.

He also absolutely hates flowers in vases in the house and they have to be moved. Logically flowers should be in the garden so I understand that.

bubblagirl Tue 09-Jun-09 17:40:50

socks have to be inside out as cant handle the crease on top of sock the stitching,

did have to have coat on whatever the weather as was normal to put coat on before leaving

wouldn't wear sandles as they weren't shoes

hated the bath for over a yr we had to have paddling pool in living room

wont poo on toilet

doesn't like hand dryers

certain materials leave him trying to rip clothes off

having hair cut and toe nails and finger nails its all painful for him

bubblagirl Tue 09-Jun-09 17:42:44

did hate the fan but luckily for us this summer he loves it and has one in his room no more uncomfortable days and nights he didnt like the sound

loud noises

singing at pre school leaves him in a right state

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 09-Jun-09 17:45:22

DS -
Running taps

the moon!?

Sweeping brushes

'feedback' noises on the radio or stereo.

smallwhitecat Tue 09-Jun-09 17:53:25

Message withdrawn

Marne Tue 09-Jun-09 18:35:41

Dd1 (AS) Had a phobia of females grin, when i took her to the pead i was accused of abusing her shock as she was so wary of females they thought she must have been abused by one. sad

She also had phobias of lawn mowers and planes (if one few over whilst she was outside she would run in screaming).

She now has less phobia's but has a phobia of the toilet which is becoming a huge problem.

Marne Tue 09-Jun-09 18:39:00

She also hates anything (loo roll, bleach)in the toilet.

Hand dryers

Public toilets

Sand (we are working on this one)

She hated the bath until a few months ago and as a baby she hated Roly Mo grin.

Dd2 hates any loud sound and hates Maka Paka (sp).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now