Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is my daughters speech therapy a complete waste of time ??

(9 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Jun-09 20:47:46

Hi, my daughter has been having speech therapy for 2 years once a week in a group of about 5 children.
She's been learning one sound for 8 months now and is still needing to be reminded to use that sound in speech. She can do it but it dosn't come naturally. The speech therapist has diagnosed verbal dyspraxia to us. She seems to say one thing to us and another to the nursery.
The consultant asked for a written report 6 months ago and we've just found out that they are still waiting for this report.
I just feel as if she needs shaking. angry
I'm a very non pushy person but I do feel as if speech therapy is a waste of time. I'd be bored of learning just one sound for 8 months too.
She is going to be assessed by an educational psycologyst, physio therapist, and SALT. She has other difficulties in potty training and co ordination too.
I feel as if she needs far more from speech therapy than what she's getting.

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Jun-09 21:03:20

When she starts her new school, she'll get a new therapist (the one who works at the school) but that's not untill she's 5.

mysonben Sun 07-Jun-09 21:19:19

I do feel the same about my ds 'SALT with too little being done with sessions too spaced out. He had his last lot of 6 weeks sessions last august and starting the next lot next week! Also the SALT took over 4 months to write up her report... what a joke! But we still go as we can't afford private SALT , we try to work with ds on his speech at home on a regular basis , he is now 3y 7m and since his 3rd b/day has made real progress.
smile

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Jun-09 21:26:43

My daughter isn't making much progress at all. She's becomming fed up with therapy. All she wants to do is play with the other children. hmm
We practice at home but she dosn't like it and after a while starts being silly. She dosn't like being corrected either.
Her nursery are fantastic though. They help her with far more sounds than the SALT. The SALT has critisized them for intefering but they are helping her far more.

WetAugust Sun 07-Jun-09 23:16:25

My son has 1:1 SALT but I thought it was a TOTAL waste of time and it produced no results whatsoever.

mummyloveslucy Mon 08-Jun-09 13:03:37

Is he still having SALT? Has he made progress without it?

My daughter is going for hers again tommorrow. Oh well, lets see what she says about her report not being written.

WetAugust Mon 08-Jun-09 20:49:12

No - he had it for about 3 years from age 5 but it made no difference at all. he's 21 next week and still talks with a pronounced lisp!

Davros Tue 09-Jun-09 07:51:47

I always felt that SALT was over-rated. It did help DS as it was where he was first exposed to Makaton, which was also new to me, but he found it boring and repetitive and then he became quite resistant to speech programs.

vicky275 Tue 09-Jun-09 22:19:02

i can undersatand how you are feeling my ds is 3 and has speech delays he was ref for speech thearpy and we have seen three different people since then in three different settings and they wonder why ds will not talk at all.
At his last idp meeting when they turned up i let rip about how let down i felt with there care it worked they have been in to pre school every week since some times you just got to shout and shout loud to get anything done some thing i have learnt the hard way after having two special needs children
hang on in there you can get the help you need you just need to shout

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now