Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Eye Surgery

(18 Posts)
anniebear Mon 09-May-05 17:22:56

Has anybody's child had eye surgery to correct a squint/turn?

We have to decide wether to let Ellie have it done or not.

She has had two lots of brain Surgery but she was so ill and it all happened so quickly I didnt have time to worry.

But this terrifies me.

Anybody any experience of it?

Janh Mon 09-May-05 17:33:56

lou33's DS2 has had it done, anniebear - don't think she's around right now but I'm sure she'll notice the thread later.

Janh Mon 09-May-05 17:35:54

Here's an old thread about it, there are a few experiences on there. HTH.

Kelly1978 Mon 09-May-05 17:38:45

not my child, but I had it myself. I was about 5 years old I think. It wasn't painful except for the eyedrops, but I do remember being quite scared at not being able to see at first. Also, it did nothing whatsoever, but techniques may have improved over the last 20 years. I would check on success rate before making a decision if my dd needed it. (my dd does have a squint, but has jsut been prescribed glasses for now.)

Tinker Mon 09-May-05 17:48:21

Would discuss with your opthamologist. My daughter does have one which is only noticeable when not wearing her glasses. Have been advised not to have surgery (which I'm relieved about). Some squints are not responsive to surgery apparently.

lou33 Mon 09-May-05 18:59:32

ds2 had it done anniebear, he was in and out in the same day, no bandages, no bleeding, just a red looking eye.

chipmonkey Mon 09-May-05 19:49:49

Anniebear, how old is Ellie?

anniebear Mon 09-May-05 20:36:18

she will be 4 in August.

It is a severe squint but at the moment they don't think it is becoming a 'lazy eye'

The worry is that the turned eye is not used properly and the muscles will weaken and the sight can become quite poor in it. So really at some point it should be operated on before that happens.

She will have to have it done at some point. I'm not sure though wether its better to be done whilst she is younger or wait a bit???

I am going to feel stupid as I imagine I shall cry my eyes out taking her to Theatre, I dunno, too many memories. I shall be worse than I was when she was really ill.

The lady today said about starting School and about other children not being nice etc but I feel Ellie has enough other problems that no one would skit at her wonky eye!

She, for the next few years maybe, would be oblivious at anybody making fun at her, she would just laugh and wouldnt understand anyway.

I just said that I had enough worries on my plate at the moment so I'll leave it for now.

Haven't a clue really though whats best.

Lou.....did the op work? was she in pain afterwards?

The thought of her eye coming out.uggghhh!!!

lou33 Mon 09-May-05 21:01:02

not really in any pain, they slightly undercorrected it, which is normal, and it has worked pretty well

chipmonkey Mon 09-May-05 21:12:09

Anniebear the eye doesn't come out, they just hold the eyelids open very wide. I think in general the younger they have it done, the less traumatic for them. Its very simple and straightforward. In school, some children can make comments, even thought they don't mean it badly. Does she wear glasses?

anniebear Tue 10-May-05 07:32:08

yes she wears glassess, has done from 14 months. Had her eyes tested after having Meninitis. Then developed Hydrocephalus which can cause squints.

Some body did say they have to remove the eye, don't know who. Glad if they don't!

As I said I think having a wonky eye is the least of her problems. There would be many other things to skit at before her eyes!

Thanks, yet again, for your help!!

juliek Wed 11-May-05 12:41:39

My 9 year old daughter had squint correction when she was about three, no problems at all, then she had the other one done about 3 weeks ago. Again there were no problems apart from her now being far more aware of what was going on around her in the theatre, and obviously very scared. She has CP and I think squints are part of that, hopefully now it should sort out. As I say there were no problems it was just very, very red when she came out and she cried for a couple of hours, but by the next morning she was fine. Good luck with whatever you decided.
xx

Fio2 Wed 11-May-05 12:47:48

my daughter has a squint. I thought the surgery only cos,metically improved the eye? and that the regular eye patching improved the visibility in it?

my daughter will have to have surgery too anniebear and I worry about this too, think it is normal as it is the eyes iykwim

chipmonkey Wed 11-May-05 13:32:09

Fio, if the child is young enough, there is a chance that the surgery will enable the 2 eyes to work together as a "team" In reality though, most squint ops are cosmetic only.

anniebear Wed 11-May-05 13:37:08

I got told it was cosmetic but the got told about the eye becoming lazy and then is not used so the sight can become poor in it

Thnaks everyone for your replies

xx

chipmonkey Wed 11-May-05 13:42:52

annie, Patching usually works to improve the vision in the "lazy" eye, not so much the surgery.

anniebear Wed 11-May-05 17:50:10

What she meant was, that because Ellies turned eye, when turned, is so bad, she won't be focusing with it, therefore could stop using it.

At the moment that isnt happening and we go every 3months to check on this

anniebear Wed 11-May-05 17:51:18

She did have some patching a while ago now to try to encourage her to turn her eye back. But they don't think she needs them as they think she is usuing both eyes (when turned back in) equally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now