Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

will it ever end.?..... little rant

(16 Posts)
drlove8 Sat 06-Jun-09 14:03:29

im very very tired of all the appointments and wish they'd just give us a break, let us get on with enjoying our dd4! Sometimes its as if we cant catch our breath for all the running about. The last appointment went well, peadi saw slight improvement in dd4 and was well pleased. We came away from that feeling "there is light at the end of the tunnnel". But today mr Postie has delivered a summery of the appointment... and reading it seems not to be the end of the appointments after all...sad .DD4 is being sent to a clinical psychologist, an ophthalomology consultant , and again to the clinical genetics... add that to list of forthcoming appointments with the peadi, the OT( first one) and the autism team , the S.a.l.t and im left wondering where is the time for real life? .... have also got the usual appointments for the other (7)kids , asthma nurses, dentists, school parents nights, gp's, kids clubs...... aaaarrrgh - think i need an assistant! hmm Is everyone else the same? is it partand parcel of being an SN mum?

Widemouthfrog Sat 06-Jun-09 14:46:04

We've got OT, paed, neurologist and speech therapy in the next two weeks for DS1, and then paed for DS2. We have just done a round of educational assessments for our statement annual review aswell so we are pretty full on here.
I do often wonder why, as nothing ever changes except the pile of reports in our filing cabinet.
I graciously attend in the hope that something useful will come out of the appointments. I have to say DS's amazing progress is mainly due to the hard work of school and his parents blush (I wasa told this by OT) rather than from any of the 'professional' input in endless appointments.

feelingbetter Sat 06-Jun-09 15:30:33

I get overwhelmed, especially when we have a cluster (like now) of appointments - and I've just got the 1!

sarah293 Sat 06-Jun-09 17:52:38

Message withdrawn

misscutandstick Sat 06-Jun-09 18:07:06

I only have 3 of 5 with SN, and i totally understand feeling tired with it all. I try and leave 1 day a wk without appts, just to try and catch up with some housework!

drlove8 Sat 06-Jun-09 18:51:26

blush i feel quite embarassed now , about my wee moan, concidering what Riven and Misscutandstick have to deal with ! Hats off to you ladies--- you must be superwomen!

sarah293 Sat 06-Jun-09 18:56:47

Message withdrawn

drlove8 Sat 06-Jun-09 19:03:09

oooh i like your thinking Riven! sort of MOT centre for kids! winkgrin.... throw in a service centre for the chairs/equiptment and a coffee bar for the mummies and youre all set! grin .... if only <<sigh>> , well its good to dream eh?smile

mumgoingcrazy Sat 06-Jun-09 20:15:56

I'm so glad others feel like this too. I always feel that we get a lot of input so really I should be grateful, but it does get too much. This week we have physio/portage/salt/ot and an MRI scan thrown in for good measure. She and I also have our birthdays this week too sad I feel so sorry for DD2 as she doesn't get to mess around with friends and do what kiddies should, she just gets poked and prodded.

drlove8 Sun 07-Jun-09 00:01:03

mumgoingcrazy how did the MRI scan go? ...was is traumatic for your DD2? hope she's ok after her test! peadi wanted dd4 to have one , but i said not yet as i want to find out more about it! what does it involve?

mumgoingcrazy Sun 07-Jun-09 10:04:32

Hi Drlove8, the scan is on Wednesday and I'm dreading it sad

It's going to be of her head and ears and should only be under for 20 mins apparently. DH got the day off cos I don't think I could do it alone.

When we've done it, I'll tell you what it involved. DD2 is 2 this week, how old is your DC? Apparently 2yr is a good age to scan the brain hmm

drlove8 Sun 07-Jun-09 10:19:38

mumgoingcrazy DD4 is nearly 4. Thats ace that your DH will be there to support you smile ,20 minutes doesnt seem that long, but i bet it goes in "slow motion" for you. I hope it all goes well for your wee family on Wedensday, and that you get the answers your hopeing for xxx

drlove8 Sun 07-Jun-09 10:21:31

grin Can i add a, DOUBLE HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO. You and dd have great day(s) grin

Widemouthfrog Sun 07-Jun-09 12:08:41

DS had an MRI scan last year. Because he was only 5 it was done under general anaesthetic and lasted around 30 minutes. I think it was more traumatic for me than him as I paced outside the theatre waiting for him to come out. he took a long time to wake up, but otherwise he was none the worse for wear.
Good luck for wednesday mumgoingcrazy.

mumgoingcrazy Sun 07-Jun-09 18:05:34

Drlove8 I think I have now hijacked your thread blush sorry! Thank you for the b'day wishes. Mine will pass me by, but DD2 is getting a party. Not sure when I'll be preparing for that with the week coming, but hey I'll have to blag it somehow.

WMF, DD2 will also have a general anaesthetic, how long did it take your DS to come round and also how long before he started eating and drinking?

I've been told we won't be able to go until she has done both these things.

Widemouthfrog Sun 07-Jun-09 22:09:43

It actually took my Ds quite a while to come round - about 30 mins on recovery, then he would not fully wake up on the ward for a couple of hours - he does like to sleep though. The opther kids were all discharged a lot quicker than us.
I've seen the other thread so i will answer there too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now