Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

proud mummy moment

(9 Posts)
Phoenix4725 Sat 06-Jun-09 04:06:53

Can I have a proud mummy moment, ds signing is coming on real well and has not only been putting 2 signs together this week he even manged to understand sizes as been signing big dog , small dog depending on size infact seems be getting the hhole idear of big and small .and is learnng colours knows and signs red and blue now has 150 signs grin

BriocheDoree Sat 06-Jun-09 07:12:58

smile smile
That's wonderful!

5inthebed Sat 06-Jun-09 09:10:04

Thats fantastic grin

misscutandstick Sat 06-Jun-09 09:14:21

thats fantastic!!!!

what wonderful news!

I was wondering how he was getting on, and that simply couldnt be better! Is he happy signing? meaning is it his first thought rather than yelling or getting frustrated?

really really pleased for you!

Phoenix4725 Sat 06-Jun-09 09:20:06

yep it is hes lot happier now and all dc sign as well . infact we tried out simple communication device he got hang of it ok but he just found it to slow changing the boards he turned it of signed what he wated

Hows ds signing go know h was working on 2 sign level you had any more nws re asd?

notfromaroundhere Sat 06-Jun-09 10:06:16

Yay well done that's fab grin

misscutandstick Sat 06-Jun-09 10:16:36

yes phoenix:ASD has been Dx, but not for DS5! DS4 has ASD and SLI. But they both have different Paeds, one who hands out Dx's like post-it notes and one that wont label for love nor money! The closest we got to a label of any description for DS5 was in a letter from the 'communication and social interaction meeting' (am i to read thats actually a meeting about all the children with ASD's?) that they hold once a month - but only a few children get talked about at each one. It said "Dr W feels that <DS5> displays autistic traits" and thats as far as it went apart from "<portage worker> states that <DS5> still struggles with concentration and attention skills".

His signing is plodding on nicely, he does some 2word signs, but its usually "OH no + broken", or "broken + fixit", or "where + <toy of choice>" rather than using any adjectives. I want to start using some names, unfortunately 3 of 4 of his brothers have same initial - any ideas?

misscutandstick Sat 06-Jun-09 10:21:47

i dont think its good or bad news BTW about the communication aid - IMO its each to his own. Sounds like it was more hassle than it was worth on the whole. Its a little unfortunate that children are not taught any form of sign language in school, so most adults dont know any either, making it difficult for conversation with the average JOe on the street. I suppose thats what the communication aid would be for... but who wants to lug one of those things around for the rare conversation that he may or may not have when you are out and about? My NT sons dont really speak much to strangers when we are out, other than the odd "sorry, excuse me, please and thankyou".

misscutandstick Sat 06-Jun-09 10:24:14

lets face it, a magna-doodle would probably be quicker and easier than one of those things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now