Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

straight jacket needed!

(5 Posts)
MumOfThreeMonkeys Fri 05-Jun-09 12:20:46

just not sure if its for me or dd (joking-ish). dd (5) has a lot of irrational fears which are getting so bad that i can't turn on the tv or radio and her wee brother can't play with any toys that make noise. she is terrified of peppa pig because there is a naughty parrot in 1 episode also balamory, mr.maker, me too... the list goes on. most of the time i can't work out what she is actually scared of, all i know is she get so terrified that she can't speak she just runs away screaming and gets to the point that she vomits and says her head burns. this is happening like 10-15 times a day, its so hard to watch. im waiting on a refferal to CAMHS plus she goes to primary mental health next week. has anyone else had this problem? if so does it get any better? she seems to be getter worse as she gets older !

magso Fri 05-Jun-09 14:15:09

Do you think she is noise/sound sensitive? In which case would ear muffs help ( when others are watching tv) at least as a tempory measure? Ds (9)tends to be single channelled rather than over sensitive but some sounds still cause panic (like loud alarms and bells)but he has got more tolerant with time.

anonandlikeit Fri 05-Jun-09 17:10:08

ds2 didn't like childrens programmes at all., they were just too bright & bold for him to cope with.
He also had a fear of circles so any kids programmes doing shapes was a nightmare.

He has got better with age & a little more understanding.

OT really helped with ds2's anxiety, does she have any OT input.

MumOfThreeMonkeys Fri 05-Jun-09 19:32:11

yes she has OT, she diff is sound sensitive but i don't think she would keep ear muffs on for one second. it is good to know that both your kids have better with age , sometimes i feel like i really can't cope, even if i knew what to do to calm her down when it happens would be a big help.

thank you magso and anonandlikeit

anonandlikeit Fri 05-Jun-09 19:41:36

we do seem to have everything at half volume in our house, that definately helps!

As well as helping ds2 with his sensory stuff I find DS1 (NT) benifits ads we are not all shouting over each other.

Also he finds classic FM very calming & I think ahs helped him tolerate the radio - he even tolerates the presenter speaking between songs a bit better now.

It was a very gradual process & at times I felt like our life would be controlled ds2's anxiety but he is sooo much better now.

Also preschool & now school has helped ds2 cope with a noiser environment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now