Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Question about Movement ABC

(14 Posts)
yanny Fri 05-Jun-09 00:08:07

DD (9) had an OT assessment last week and got the report today and I'm feeling a bit sad

For Movement ABC she was in the 1st percentile (I'm not too familiar with percentiles but reading on it's clear that this is the lowest score there is)

There is a loose query (mentioned by a private paediatric neurologist) of possible DCD although I mistakenly thought the OT would assess her. However I now have in writing that my DD has definite motor difficulty and no insight as to why.

She ticks a lot of boxes for DCD/dyspraxia but I'm not sure where to go from here. It's been a battle to get this far. Given consent for the report to be sent to family GP, school GP and headteacher. Any ideas as to what I should do next?

Sorry it's so long

yanny Fri 05-Jun-09 10:07:04

Bump incase anyone has any advice smile

yanny Fri 05-Jun-09 16:14:52

Another bump!

yanny Sat 06-Jun-09 20:01:10

Another shameless bump wink

Forgot to add OT report also states my DD presented with slightly decreased muscle tone/hypermobility. Have been googling but wondered are dyspraxia and hypermobility commonly linked?

yanny Sat 06-Jun-09 20:01:13

Another shameless bump wink

Forgot to add OT report also states my DD presented with slightly decreased muscle tone/hypermobility. Have been googling but wondered are dyspraxia and hypermobility commonly linked?

Phoenix4725 Sat 06-Jun-09 20:49:38

yep dshas hypertonia ( low muscle tone and hypermoblity and yes they can be linked to the dyspraxia or be part of cause of it

yanny Sun 07-Jun-09 00:08:29

Thanks Phoenix smile

Not sure what happens from here, now on a waiting list for group OT sessions and waiting for OT to visit us at home.

Feeling a bit lost and knackered but on a positive note I know I'm not barking, years of being told there is nothing wrong, school doctor actually told me dd has no motor issues, I'm sure she'll be surprised to get a copy of the report hmm

Phoenix4725 Sun 07-Jun-09 03:44:07

ug ot here is crap we see every 6 months no program or anything andcome to the house lol never .physio just review him 6 monthly to say yes your doing ok bye .

Phoenix4725 Sun 07-Jun-09 03:45:56

school drs there all the same , mind theraphy might be some excersises since your dd is older and yes as bad as it is to have it confirmd its the relief to know you was right .lol i always want to stick my tounge oout and go ner told you so ,

yanny Sun 07-Jun-09 16:00:21

Thanks for the replies Phoenix, it is a relief as the older DD gets the more obvious her difficulties become, she is starting to feel different to other children and her anxiety is through the roof more than it used to be.

Can't cope with change (example talking about getting a new bed-this caused huge amounts of upset and anxiety for weeks and it had only been mentioned) Attitude of most people in my family is she's 9, you tell her whats happening as she's only a child and tell her to stop being so sensitive. If only it was as simple hmm

ChopsTheDuck Mon 08-Jun-09 16:46:08

Sorry, I hadn't seen this one til now, but do you have a paediatricians appointment? We got the report from the OT then it was up to the paed to confrim it was dyspraxia based on the results of the report. Ds1 also scored 1st percentile, has dyspraxia, hypermobiltiy and social and communication difficulties.

Hypermobility and dyspraxia does seem to be common together and I think they must aggravate each other!
Ignroe the school dr, my GP was is the same. I think OTs/Physios know a lot more about motor control than non specific drs! Agree with Pheonix, very tempted to stick tongue out at a lot of people!

Hopefully the OT should be able to give you some idea of what to do next. We've been given a fair bit of infor and exercises over the past year btu no real help tbh.

yanny Tue 09-Jun-09 19:23:18

Hi Chops thanks for your reply.

Just recieved the OT report at the end of last week, don't have a paediatricians appointment but I'm hopeful as we're having a real struggle just now.

Was school sports day today, poor DD really tried but I noticed the looks from other children and parents on her team when she scored 0 points for throwing and balancing. The hockey dribble task was a total nightmare. She also found it hard to understand the instructions on where she should go/what she should be doing. Her running looked very ungainly/awkward too, much more than usual.

Can I ask how did you get the paediatricians appt? Is the OT able to refer or do I have to deal with school GP?

Thanks again smile

ChopsTheDuck Wed 10-Jun-09 10:42:43

In our case it was the hV who referred us to the paed. Different areas have different rules, so it might be worth askign the OT if they can refer you, if not, your GP or the school dr should be able to do it.

yanny Wed 10-Jun-09 10:52:57

Thanks, just going to give OT a call now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now