Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Videos for girl, 3, with moderate to severe ASD?

(22 Posts)
dinosaur Mon 09-May-05 11:59:43

Some of you might remember that I posted a while ago about my DS2 (nt) and his friendship with a little girl at his nursery.

Can anyone suggest any videos she might enjoy? My DS1 has always been a big fan of Thomas (quelle surprise) but this little girl isn't interested in Thomas at all. Her mum says that she likes music, and she sort of likes the Tweenies, but doesn't really respond to any of the other CBeebies ones. We've now lent her our Tweenies Songtime videos, but just wondered if any of you mums of girls have any other suggestions?

JakB Mon 09-May-05 12:09:06

Dinosaur, DD goes through phases of watching/not watching videos but when she does she definitely responds to videos with recognisable tunes. Gender specific videos pass her by. She likes Sing and Sign and the Makaton video with Dave Benson Phillips. She used to be a huge Teletubbies fan, and particularly liked Tweenies Music video with a clip of children doing the 'bum bum' danc! And she loves the 'yes we did it' song from Dora Explorer so will watch it from the corner of her eye

dinosaur Mon 09-May-05 12:34:49

Thanks JakB. I was wondering about Makaton. I'll see if I can get hold of Sing and Sign and the Makaton video.

DS1 used to be a huge fan of the Teletubbies. He used to stand in front of the television and flap manically whilst running on the spot! An early indicator that all was not quite right, in fact, although we didn't perceive it like that at first. We've still got lots of Teletubbies videos so I could easily lend her some of those.

Twiglett Mon 09-May-05 12:36:48

how about The WIggles?

Twiglett Mon 09-May-05 12:37:17

or Hi-5

both are australian but very music / dancy / energetic

dinosaur Mon 09-May-05 12:38:50

They sound good, Twiglett.

Twiglett Mon 09-May-05 12:40:41

the wiggles

dinosaur Mon 09-May-05 12:41:40

Holy shit Twiglett that SPOKE to me - nearly scared me to death! Luckily there's no-one else in my office at the moment.

Twiglett Mon 09-May-05 12:42:37

snurk

hi-5

The Wiggles is on Nick Jr if you get it - I think you can get videos of both programmes

pixel Mon 09-May-05 12:54:04

my ds adores Kipper the dog which would appeal to a little girl I would have thought.

dinosaur Mon 09-May-05 16:45:30

thanks pixel - does Kipper have much in the way of music?

KBear Mon 09-May-05 17:01:53

Spider in the Bath has great songs on it.

dinosaur Mon 09-May-05 17:02:59

That's a complete new one on me KBear!

TinyGang Mon 09-May-05 17:09:41

'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' is a lovely video (I like it too!)

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 17:18:44

I've got a Boobah one that she could have if you wanted it, there's quite a lot of music and dancing on that.

bambi06 Mon 09-May-05 17:54:34

what about baby mozart and baby bach..my son adored them and calms the savage beast so to speak!! but theyre supposed to be excellent for all age children and helpful fo rthere brains ..try and borrow some to see..theyre calming and fun to boogy to as well depending on child

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 17:55:18

I have a Baby Bach one as well, if you'd like to try it, dinosaur.

Davros Mon 09-May-05 18:23:30

Warning, be careful what you get for her. A friend's DD (with ASD) has been hooked on Barney for years. So make sure its not something so nauseating!!! Spider is very good. If you can't get it let me know as DD wouldn't miss it (and DS certainly wouldn't!).

pixel Mon 09-May-05 18:57:02

Not really much music in Kipper but ds loves the theme tune! Also it is quite inoffensive if you are forced to watch it over and over!

dinosaur Tue 10-May-05 12:36:35

Thanks everyone.

DS2's friend has seen bits of Baby Bach and Baby Mozart at our house but they didn't seem to make much of an impression on her, so I wasn't sure how keen on them she was. But obviously she was quite distracted at the time - that doesn't mean she wouldn't watch them at home.

Davros - lol - I wouldn't wish Barney on anyone, and certainly not on this little girl's poor mother!

WigWamBam Tue 10-May-05 13:29:31

Dinosaur, if you'd like to try the Boohbah and Baby Bach ones, cat me and I'll send them to you. Don't want anything for them, and if it would help then I'm happy to send them.

dinosaur Tue 10-May-05 15:14:15

Thank you WWB - I will indeed - that's very kind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now