Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD: A toilet training book that actually uses a toilet?

(7 Posts)
laumiere Thu 04-Jun-09 19:27:31

Hi all,

DS1 is now 3 and although his CP means his muscle development is not yet ready for toilet training, we want to start preparing him for the idea as he reacts better to change when he knows what will happen. We're due to start toilet timing and using a PECS picture for the loo and want a story to tell him, but as he's over a metre tall already he won't be using a potty, and so we want a picture book that uses a toilet, not a potty.

DS1 is very visual, so the less words the better. He really liked the Waiting for Baby book by Annie Kubler (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waiting-Baby-All-Annie-Kubler/dp/0859539733/ref=sr111?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid =1244139982&sr=1-11) especially as the little boy has brown hair like him, so anything like this would be ideal.

UniS Thu 04-Jun-09 20:21:34

amazon search on subject here

also ask at Library, we had a very good one from library about going when you start to need to and not leaving it too late. Unfortunately I can;t remember its name for you.

sphil Thu 04-Jun-09 22:42:23

'I Can Flush' by Katherine Sully - complete with sound effects! Board book, few words and the boy has brown hair.

saintlydamemrsturnip Thu 04-Jun-09 23:16:43

I like Liam goes poo on the toilet. Although sphil's sounds good too. I think I might add it to the shop.

There's also some poo reward charts at reward board.co.uk - with photographic reusable poo that can be stuck in potties. A lot of autistic kids love it because it's very visual. I have a horrible feeling they may have gone out of business though as I can't find them online - keep getting an unavailable.

saintlydamemrsturnip Thu 04-Jun-09 23:27:15

awww I think those reward boards have gone. There are 1000's out there, but none with poo photos!

laumiere Fri 05-Jun-09 10:06:25

Ooh, the Liam and I can Flush ones sound good. So many of them have potties, it's so frustrating! Half tempted to draw my own.

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 05-Jun-09 10:55:07

Well that can work well. Or photographs with some simple text beneath. My son loves his own photobooks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now