Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Explaining to my son why his BEST FRIEND cannot come to his party (as he's a Jehova Witness)

(5 Posts)
TheRealMrsF Mon 09-May-05 10:56:08

Alex cannot understand why his friend cannot come to his party- have tried explaining but am getting nowhere.

Am posting this here in the hope that someone who is familiar with me and my boys can help- biut alao...wondered if i should post it on religion ..... just feel very 'respectful' of this child parents wishes...but a bit annoyed to as we are having a bouncy castle for the day- and i even suggested to her that her son could come round in the morning (before the party) to just play with alex...she said NO!

Alex then wanted to give him a party bag....She said NO!

(apparently all birthday/christmas stuff is pagan????)

Louise1980 Mon 09-May-05 11:20:52

It is pagan and if she feels that strongly against it you probably cant get around it. I have a friend who is a JW (no offence ment I just cant spell). If I see her about today I will ask her what she suggests?

You cant get away from the fact that its Alex's b'day and thats the bit she doesnt like.

Have you tried to tell him that his friend doesnt celebrate birthdays? That he cant come because his parents dont like parties?

HTH

coppertop Mon 09-May-05 11:35:43

IIRC Mieow and Misdee were brought up as JW's. (I sound like a stalker now, don't I?? ). Maybe they will have some ideas?

PS - See, Sparklymieow - We do notice your posts!

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 11:39:31

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays because they believe that the custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions, and that Christians can give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year, rather than celebrating an individual. It's also felt that birthdays put undue praise on others; praise that should rightfully go to God.

How old are the children? Depending on their age I would try and explain that some people have a different faith to others, and that his friend's faith means he doesn't celebrate birthdays. It doesn't mean that he can't have fun with his friend at other times, just that his friend can't celebrate his birthday. I would say that his friend still likes him very much, but that his family's beliefs are very important to them, and so should be respected. You can always invite the child around another time - JWs do like to have fun, just not birthdays.

RnB Mon 09-May-05 14:58:20

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: