Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

statement q again.

(29 Posts)
staryeyed Thu 04-Jun-09 14:35:00

Part 3 of the statement can someone clarify what it should say in part 3 under educational provision par a) b) and c).

Thanks

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 14:50:21

part 3 is all written on the basis of what is in part 2 of the statement

mine for bubbla boy says
a- development of his imaginative play using scripts to help teach him ways of playing imaginatively which he will be encouraged to try with peers using adulot supervision
b-
explicit structure in order to support the development of his functional play skills

c- demonstrating what is expected of him with adults ensuring they have identified beginning. middle and end point to the play activtiy

d- opportunities to develop the variety and content of his play using first and then board

e- adults to model and scaffold his pretend and imaginative play directly and employ humour where possible so that play is more meaningful to him

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 14:53:38

i'm not entirely sure if it should state how often play is going to be done or if person should be ASD trained to do this

also times how often specified with who to do this

also says about his play skills attention language social interaction sensory ,

its missing dedicated SALT time its missing the fact person should be asd trained its missing danger awareness which should also be stated in part 2

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 14:55:25

there is so much to this part but it should all link in with part 2 on his needs they should then in part 3 write how they plan to deal with this

it should be clear with clear states of who and when they will be doing something

we have just sent our form back not agreeing i wrote long letter with highlighted areas from all reports and am now waiting for my re write to come back

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 15:00:58

best thing go through reports and write down all the needs and difficulties make sure these are then listed in part 2 if they are not ask for them to be added

then make sure part 3 is clear on the needs and they haven't downplayed them and that they have times and who and when person will be dealing with child

so for example bubbla boys difficulties in part 2

play skills
attention and concentration
communication
social interaction
behaviour
sensory needs

should also have danger awareness and in part 2 under communication they down played the severity of his speech problems with no mention of his ongoing salt

AND FEW OTHEWR PARTS IN PART 2 WERE DOWNPLAYED SO THERE FORE THE HELP IN PART 3 WASNT sorry

to the standard it should be and wasnt written clearly either no real help listed just sounded good with big words

moondog Thu 04-Jun-09 15:02:25

It needs to specify and quantify all provision, in other words spell out all that will be done precisely, so yes,Bubbla, yours is not good enough.
Get it changed to put in all you mention.

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 15:07:08

well im hoping with the letter i sent off that the re write will have all needed fingers crossed

moondog Thu 04-Jun-09 15:11:50

Indeed.Keep on sending it back if not happy.You can do so as many times as you want . My friend went through 12 draughts.

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 15:16:27

well im hoping this will be last one lol i did tell them what iw anted what i felt wasn't clear but im bound to not get it 100 % right

as long as the main parts im worried about are right then that will be good enough for me

staryeyed Thu 04-Jun-09 16:16:43

Sorry I dont think I made myself clear; I thought statement were laid out the same way;
under part 3 it says:

Educational provision to meet needs and objectives

The special educational provision which the Authority consider appropriate to meet the needs specified in Part 2 and to meet the objectives specified in this Part, and in particular:

(a) any appropriate facilities and equipment, staffing and curriculum arrangements

Staryeyed junior will have access to a broad and balanced curriculum set within the framework of the
Foundation Curriculum, but sufficiently differentiated to meet his particular needs and learning
difficulties. This should lead into the National Curriculum at an appropriate stage.

(b) modifications to or exemptions from the National Curriculum

Not applicable.

(c) details to indicate how it is proposed to substitute for exemptions from the National Curriculum in order to maintain a broad, balanced curriculum.

None.

Im not really sure if it should say something different on this part.

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 16:19:57

mine must be set out different i dont seem to have that written down on mine

Phoenix4725 Thu 04-Jun-09 17:11:39

mines differnt to part 3 is split into though we do get blurb that ds is entitled to to full national curricum but suitably differanted to take account of his sn

each area then splits with how they will aim to do it

3A objectives lits areas that ds needs to devlope

bB is educational provission to meet needs objectives , which is then split into 1 stragies to devlope his early skills,a -h

b2 stragies to devlope laungage skills a-g

sTRAGIES TO DEVLOPE social then a-f

stragies to devlope gross and fine motor skils a-e

stragies devlope self help and independence a-e

staryeyed Thu 04-Jun-09 17:12:09

oh. I dont know what to do with it because it doesn't seem very clear but I don't know what it is supposed to say.

Phoenix4725 Thu 04-Jun-09 17:20:18

have they listed in each area how they will help staryeyed junior acheive each objective

and in part 2 havethey listed a summary of diffculties
in part 2 ds summary of diffculties is

play and early learning
communication skills
social interaction
motor/fine skills
self help and independence skills

though these are also gone into more indepth

part 3 states how they will help ds in these areas

Phoenix4725 Thu 04-Jun-09 17:21:42

might be worth you calling ipsea going over it with them

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 20:48:00

here are some help lines call them they may be able to help you mine is set out the same as phoenix

afasic helpline
0845 3555577

ACE
0808 8005793

ipsea
01394 380518

network 81
0870 7703306

rathborne special education advise line
0800 9176790

staryeyed Fri 05-Jun-09 14:15:52

Have called SOSSEN who helped with a lot of my q's and tried IPSEa but the line is only open later this evening. Its quite difficult to call as it depends on DS2 (6 weeks) being asleep at the time.

Can someone look over this bit and tell me if it sounds right? I really don't trust my LEA:

"The Local Authority considers that Staryeyed junior’s needs will be met in a mainstream school.

The programme to support Staryeyed juniors’s needs will be provided by the school from its total delegated budget in the context of the whole school inclusion policy.

This will enable the school to provide 34.07 hours from a Teaching Assistant per week for his language, communication and learning needs."

I think it needs to say 1:1 and that they needs to be trained in PECS. but Im also a bit confused about the "provided by the school out of its total delegated budget" bit.

bubblagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 15:23:08

i dont think there allowed to pass buck onto the school i think its supposed to be clearer

it doesnt say what the policy is or explain much really its big words that mean nothing

we had things like within the ranges and the contexts i asked for it to be re written clearer

again yes i think it should state if in ms who will help and trained to there needs and how this help will be given and how often make sure SLAT is in there if needed and how often

do you think his needs can be met in ms or would you prefer sn school i cant remember your ds needs now but obviously will he be around peers who are at other level is he likely to be left out with no other children's with similar needs

make sure the statement if read by someone who doesn't know him is clear to what his needs are , what actions need to be taken , who with and how often

bubblagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 15:23:37

my re write is being sent out tonight i'll let you know what happens when it turns up

staryeyed Fri 05-Jun-09 15:28:29

Thats what I thought Bubbla it sounds like they are asking the school to fund out of their budget.

I want DS to go to a special school.

Everyone keeps trying me trying to hurry me up with it. I only received it last Friday. I think they want me to just accept as it is but Im not going to. I just think its so crap that people who should be independent aren't- the early intervention team, PP they are all the same.

bubblagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 15:43:39

well then you may need to appeal on the counts that you want sn school to give him equal opportunities to be around others with similar needs etc

that his needs are more than a ms school could handle and he wouldn't have equality in ms school he deserves the same opportunities to enter school with the help and others with similar needs also

also that you dont know the policies and haven't selected a school as yet and would like the help to be written clearer with who and how and how often this help will be given they will try and fob you off we wrote big long letter with highlights from reports stating his needs what they recommend etc

si if reports state sn school photo copy report and highlight the area that says this

again check section 2 make sure all his needs are here
ds is
danger awareness
play skills
attention and concentration
communication
social interaction
behavior
sensory needs

but also that they describe him as he is as they downplayed ds in description wrote he could dress him self and he cant all little things flag them up to be changed as part 3 follows on from all the problems or needs in part 2

so part 3 should then say how they will deal with these needs and who with how often etc but all needs must be in part 2 so check reports and check the needs if anything missing make note

if part 3 doesn't match his needs again ask for it to be changed you have 15 days from date on letter to do so

bubblagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 15:44:51

on mine it was 20 hrs from them and this included 5 hrs from school budget

staryeyed Fri 05-Jun-09 17:00:29

We told everyone we wanted SN school so they have quoted that we want it but not that they recommend it. Although one says Ds doesn't have the pre requisite skills needed to cope in mainstream classroom.

bubblagirl Fri 05-Jun-09 17:12:02

can you remind me of your ds needs i get everyone's children mixed up

i would use the last sentence as a pointer if its there use it

staryeyed Fri 05-Jun-09 17:13:09

We told everyone we wanted SN school so they have quoted that we want it but not that they recommend it. Although one says Ds doesn't have the pre requisite skills needed to cope in mainstream classroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now