Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

"Slow processor"

(12 Posts)
Voltaire Thu 04-Jun-09 13:21:21

DS2 (13) goes to a v academic independent school and is doing well in attainment but doesn't always hand in work on time and is naturally a bit chaotic grin. Their learning support teacher has just contacted me to say she ran a few tests on him and thinks he might be a slow processor despite his high IQ.

And they want permission to have him assessed properly.

I feel confused.

troutpout Thu 04-Jun-09 13:43:53

Does your ds already have a dx?

Voltaire Thu 04-Jun-09 14:05:17

No.

Voltaire Thu 04-Jun-09 14:22:01

Is slow processor a common term? I've never heard it before. But googling I see it is linked to dyslexia - is that right? He spells very well and is in the top set for Maths at a v academic school.

troutpout Thu 04-Jun-09 14:38:41

It sounds like it's just something they have observed about your boy doesn't it?

Re dyslexia...Could be...i don't know much about dyslexia tbh. I'm sure someone will be along in a bit and give you some info on that.

Ds has significant 'delayed processing' due to his aspergers.
He is also in top sets and on g&t reg hmm for maths at his school.
For instance ...if i ask ds anything. i use the '6 second rule' (wait 6 seconds for him to process what i have said before expecting any response). In actual fact it's more like about 8 seconds for ds....and it doesn't necessarily mean i'll get a response anyway...(but you get the gist grin
Ds also has dyspraxia.It is asociated with that too.

Voltaire Thu 04-Jun-09 15:07:28

Troutpout - Thanks for your reply. Well I've been googling. I've been googling and have decided he's everything I've googled so I should probably stop. grin

I suppose there is no harm in letting them run these tests. Although I still don't know what they are getting at. He is certianly offbeat and often chaotic. I like him like that. He likes himself like that. He isn't disruptive or naughty at school, ever. He's just a bit dreamy and well, er, lazy.

<still confused>

HairyMaclary Thu 04-Jun-09 16:50:29

My Ds is a bit of a 'slow processor', he has cerebral palsy (moderately) and his slow processing shows in a few ways. It can take him a bit of time to answer questions, as he has to think it all through, sometimes you can almost watch the process as it is written accross his face! His language skills are great though and recently assessed as above his age.

The slow processing also means that he can take time to motor plan, what to do with his body to get it where he wants it. It also means that his attention is easily taken away from what he is doing as distractions come it while he is processing things and interupt his flow, this is obvious not just in speech but when writing, playing a game etc. He is only just 4 and not yet at school but due to his cerebral palsy he will be well supported and this is the main area they will be focussing on. (Mostly thanks to the fantastic reports and recommendations written by his physio and OT.)

These type of problems are often associated with brain injuries so very common in children with CP (so I've been told). I don't know about it as a condition on it's own but for us it's part and parcel of his diagnosis of CP but very clearly set out on his statement.

Don't know if this helps at all!

Voltaire Thu 04-Jun-09 20:45:44

HairyM - Thanks for your post. You are teaching me lots of things I really know nothing about.

smartiejake Thu 04-Jun-09 22:01:12

Slow processing is also common with verbal dyspraxia. I work with a girl who is highly intelligent but needs quite some considerable time to process what she has learned. We have to wait, then wait a bit longer, then just as we feel she hasn't understood what we have asked her she comes up with the most amazingly well thought out answer!

sphil Thu 04-Jun-09 22:39:10

DS1 (8) is like this and is in the process of being assessed for dyspraxia. But I absolutely agree with you that it makes him what he is - I wouldn't want him any other way. His slow processing shows itself particularly in speech - he tends to have set phrases: ' I want to tell you something', 'excuse me' - that he uses while his brain processes what he actually wants to say. Everyone just thinks he's very polite!grin.

You might like to look at a long running thread on the Education board, titled 'Dreamer of dreams...' where a number of us discuss our 'dreamy' but generally undiagnosed children. It's probably fallen down the threads a bit but I've found it very useful.

Voltaire Fri 05-Jun-09 09:42:06

sphil - Thank you v much for your post. Your son sounds delightful. grin I hadn't even considered dyspraxia. I'll go and google. Funnily enough I've been on that dreamer of dreams thread before (they/you are all so lovely) about 2 years ago (I used to be Caroline1852 and then Swedes). I must read through it again.

I have very mixed feelings about labels and I'm cautious of setting off on that road.

HairyMaclary Fri 05-Jun-09 20:03:51

Oh DS has set phrases too, I'd never really realised that he used them to give himself time, but of course he does. Thanks for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now