Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

so fed up

(8 Posts)
mumsobusy Thu 04-Jun-09 12:47:15

ds 3.10 has sensory and behaviour prob has been seen by psychologist and she came back with ideas which I told her I was already using not much help at all. Filled in sensory form still waiting for OT to get back to me I am fed up of them not understanding my worries I dont feel I m getting anywhere. Do you sometimes feel that way or si it just me

Peachy Thu 04-Jun-09 12:49:04

I attend maybe ten meets to get one good idea and usually end up giving them many also
Tis the way it seems <<sigh>>

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 13:07:37

i know how you feel i found my ds was sleep related though once on melatonin to help him sleep most sensory issues have stopped but when it was bad i struggled badly and felt so alone

you will get somewhere just keep reminding your self of that lots of great ideas came from here for my ds and most of them helped alot

maybe start a thread on your ds sensory issues and see what advise others have they may help

magso Thu 04-Jun-09 13:36:41

Yes I know what you mean! I used to think it was just me too!( so it is not just you!) Even when someone does seem to listen you get a report that shows they misunderstood or perhaps were talking of a different child ( perhaps they see too many patients in a day)!
I like the book the out of synch child has fun- but have found the OTs suggestions ( for my 9 year old) helpful.

mumsobusy Thu 04-Jun-09 17:33:36

Thank you for your kind remarks

bubblagirl your right I got lots of good ideas from here which helped alot.

magso I am going to buy that I ve seen it mentioned a few times but havent been able to find it in book shop

The recent problem now is when he gets upset from something so simple he just gets angrier and angrier and cant seem to calm him down I try to alk calmly and hug him but hes screaming as if your tearing a limb out of him and hitting and scratching in the end I leave him alone to deal with it himself and I dont know if this is the right way round it.

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 20:51:14

this is exactly the way i allow ds to deal with things i leave him to it the more i try to interact or speak it works him up more and takes longer for him to calm down

i will put him in hios room with a video or dvd and tell him im in living room and he will just sit and rant or just engross in dvd until calm enough to come back to me

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 20:51:32

hios=his lol

magso Fri 05-Jun-09 09:17:06

That book can be ordered from Amazon or I think Jessica Kinsley but it does not help (directly) with behaviour. It may also be in the library ( try requesting it- author Kranowitz). I used 'The incredible years' by Webster Stratton for behaviour support but I know others found the ideas in this book unhelpful for their children. I used what was useful for my learning and language delayed child.
Re angry melt downs - I also mostly leave ds to calm himself - but stay close at hand, and studiously carry on with my things (whilst actually keeping an eye on ds so I know when to turn back to him)! Whilst he is screaming/demanding etc no eye contact, no words (after the initial 'no' or whatever), no interaction until ds is ready. Other times a hug is needed - he melts into it when he wants that. At home putting (calmy and kindly) on his bed helped when he was small - now its the sofa and a blanket but other children may be quite different. Now he is older it is less of a problem - he has ( mostly!) learnt to self calm (though we still need to direct him) and knows when he needs a hug. The other thing is we ( ds and I) are better able to keep his frustration levels lower - there are more early warning signs of a wobbly in the making! Part of ds OT therapy is aimed at desensitising his oversensitivities and part meeting his sensory needs ( ie his need to stimulate vestibular and propreoceptive systems).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now