Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DDs st Birthday tomorrow not quite sure how I feel!!!!

(10 Posts)
josey Wed 03-Jun-09 22:29:12

DD turns 1 and im trying not to think of the "this time last year" but I cant help it as I know this time last year she wasnt Brain damaged!

I would happily pass her birthday by after all what will she know not because of her abilities but because she is only 1. Dh is away working but her brother and sister and all in sundery keep harping on.

I have been feeling ok about it until today, my DS left the gate open the dog escaped, took me a while to notice, got a call from the school to say he was in a secure lock up there(tone was we have you rabid dog you useless bitch) Anyway it was enough to put me in melt down.

I also have a girls weekend away this weekend for my sister in laws hen weekend. 1st time away from DD and with DH away 1st time mum has taken DD. Bonus it is kicking her ass into pulling her finger out.

PROBLEM I think it is all getting too much.

Im rambling please someone just tell me I will be fine?????

lou031205 Wed 03-Jun-09 23:10:48

<<You will be fine>>

Dysgu Wed 03-Jun-09 23:41:56

Oh dear. Yes it does seem that you have so much going on and things seem to be getting on top of you right now.

No, a 1 year old (with or without brain damage) will not know much about it being their birthday but first birthdays do often seem like a big deal to other people.

I hope you can have a lovely time this weekend. Do you feel comfortable and confident about your mum looking after DD? If so, look after yourself this weekend and have some 'you' time. It sounds like you need it and certainly deserve it.

Happy Birthday to the LO too!

Shells Thu 04-Jun-09 07:51:51

I think first birthdays are definitely time for cake and wine for the mums and dads and not much else.
Hope you are ok.

badkitty Thu 04-Jun-09 13:11:14

I can't offer any advice but just wanted to say you are not alone. My DS's 6 month 'birthday' next week - have exactly the same feelings. Unfortunately the day of his birth was the worst day of my life so can't imagine I'll ever feel much like celebrating it - I guess (I hope) it will get easier in future. Love to you and your lovely DD - I hope the big day goes ok for you both and it will be a big milestone to get out of the way at least.

HelensMelons Thu 04-Jun-09 14:54:16

It will be fine.

It's her first birthday which is always a bit of a milestone I think. I have a good gurn just before each of my dc's birthdays - just because another year as passed. I am a simp.

Wine and chocolate help.

Happy birthday to DD.

marmoset Thu 04-Jun-09 15:06:24

I find the birthdays a bit much myself - I am usually very positive and everything but these really get to me so I stopped doing the parties and now we go away for the day or the weekend as the big birthday treat for ds1 as a family which works much better for us.

Have a lovely weekend - some well deserved down time - and recharge your batteries. Hope you are feeling better and that the dog is in the doghouse smile

anonandlikeit Thu 04-Jun-09 19:00:31

so many mixed emotions, ds2's first birthday was odd, I wanted to cry all day but walked around with a big fake smile as family & friends popped in to celebrate. Of course all saying "this time last year......" as if we couldn't remember.
But birthdays do get easier year on year there are lots of other things to remember other than the birth.

As for your weekend away, get pissed, dance & let off some steam, have fun!

feelingbetter Thu 04-Jun-09 19:44:05

Me too sad. Exactly the same for us - 'this time last year, everything was fine' (for 2 days anyway). Feel a bit robbed of what should be a memory of a happy time.

But, I am trying to remember that they didn't think DS'd make it to a week, let alone a year old.

If nothing else I will celebrate my stubborn and determined young man's limitless efforts to prove all those doom-mongers wrong!

Happy Birthday Joseygirl x

meltedmarsbars Fri 05-Jun-09 14:16:13

It does sometimes get easier as time passes (dd2 now 7) or maybe I am getting tougher.

We go on a trip out for her birthday - its really for our other kids that we celebrate it. I made a cake (dd2 is nil by mouth) and we went for a boat trip.

Enjoy your weekend away - you deserve some fun, looking after a disabled child can be physically and mentally exhausting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now